Bananas

  • mmckee
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
      This was forwarded to me so I wanted to pass it along. I do not know if it
      is true or not but wanted to give everybody a heads up.
      Mark

      Hi all,

      I know some of feed bananas to animals and for what it is worth,
      a good friend of ours (who is a nurse) sent this to me. He says
      that he personally made contact with the center for
      Disease Control in Atlanta and they confirmed that the report was valid.

      (Note: I have not confirmed this myself) So with a certain degree of
      caution, I am sharing the following with you.

      Dana

      Subj: Contaminated Bananas

      Warning:

      Several shipments of bananas from Costa Rica have been infected with
      necrotizing fasciitis, otherwise known as flesh eating bacteria.
      Recently this disease has decimated the monkey population in Costa Rica.

      We are now just learning that the disease has been able to graft itself
      to the skin of fruits in the region, most notably the Banana which is
      Costa Rica's largest export.

      Until this finding scientist were not sure how the infection was being
      transmitted. It is advised not to purchase Bananas for the next three
      weeks as this is the period of time for which bananas that have been
      shipped to the US with the possibility of carrying this disease. If you

      have eaten a banana in the last 2-3 days and come down with a fever
      followed by a skin infection seek
      "Medical Attention"!!!

      The skin infection from necrotizing fasciitis is very painful and eats
      two to three centimeters of flesh per hour. Amputation is likely,
      death is possible..

      If you are more than an hour from a medical center burning the flesh
      ahead of the infected area is advised to help slow the spread of the
      infection. The FDA has been reluctant to issue a country wide warning
      because of fear nationwide panic. They have secretly admitted that they

      feel upwards of 15,000 Americans will be affected by this but that
      these are acceptable numbers.

      Please forward this to as many people you care about as possible as we
      do not feel 15,000 people is an acceptable number.

      Manheim Research Institute
      Center for Disease Control
      Atlanta Georgia

      "Conservation Through Captive Propagation"
      http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/Critter/index.html
      http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/TXCritter/index.html
      mailto: mmckee@...
      Join our new list: Exotic Small Mammals
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/exotic-small-mammals
    • mmckee
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2000
        Hello All, this came to me this morning. It seems the banana warning was a
        hoax. Oh well like I said I did not verify it I was simply passing along a
        warning I received. When it comes to our animals I would rather be cautious
        rather than sorry. Anyway if you will go to the below URL it explains every
        thing.
        Mark

        http://www.snopes.com/toxins/bananas.htm