Re: [zookeeper] Private For Profit Zoo

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2012
      Winchester, VA

      Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

      -------- Original message --------
      Subject:Re: [zookeeper] Private For Profit Zoo
      From:Raegan Royale <melanie.jerea@...>
      To:"zookeeper@yahoogroups.com" <zookeeper@yahoogroups.com>

      Where is this zoo located?

      Thank you,
      Raegan Royale

      From: "birdmanlv@..." <birdmanlv@...>
      To: zookeeper@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 9:33 PM

      I would notify USDA. They give people 30 days to correct deficiencies. It's a pretty fair system.
      But keep in mind, just shutting down a facility often places the animals into even worse situations.

      Joe Krathwohl
      The Birdman

      In a message dated 9/17/2012 5:43:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, melissa@... writes:

      I visited a small zoo with my sons' scout troops this weekend. I was appalled by some of the conditions I saw - no or little food, rusty cages, piles of feces, little or no enrichment, small cages, etc. I wish they would improve their conditions. What do you think is the best way to encourage that? Should I write them a letter suggesting improvements, or does that sort of thing automatically put them on the defensive? Should I just report them to the local humane society or animal control? I'm not sure there were legal violations, but the conditions were embarrassing. I don't see how they could be open to the public. I do have some pictures, but didn't take many.

      I appreciate any suggestions.

      Thanks,
      Melissa
      www.crittersandconservation.com

    • tkrogh9424@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2012
        I would suggest calling or meeting the owner first. If they're approached properly they may divulge what the cause of the deficiencies are.  Why get other people involved until you find out what's going on.    Perhaps it's owned by a couple and one of them is sick which is why the cages aren't cleaned like they should be or perhaps the owner lives away from the property and there's a caretaker.   Depending on the response you receive would determine what my next step would be.  If there's any indication that the issues would not be addressed ASAP, I wouldn't hesitate to speak to their USDA inspector vs submitting a formal complaint.

        Mary Krogh

      • Tom Wendt
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2012
          Only one Animal Park there.

          I just googled for reviews and see the old reviews were good and the recent ones not so good.

          Again, I agree with the prior poster who suggested not going to the USDA just yet.

          To: zookeeper@yahoogroups.com
          From: melissa@...
          Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:22:06 -0400