Blue and Gold Macaws

  • Claire Waite
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2012
      We have a 20plus female blue and gold who lost her best friend couple of years ago. We have just recently acquired a male about the same age. What is the best way to introduce them to each other?

      The female's feathers are quite awful since her buddy died. Any ideas on improving them would also be appreciated. I'd also like to know your opinions on the minimum sized enclosures (outside and indoors) to keep two macaws. What substrate do you use?

      Any more information would be appreciated. It's my project to improve the habitat and introduce these two.

      Thank you.
      Claire Waite
      HPZSanctuary
    • Melissa Kowalski
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2012
        Generally, the bigger the cage the better.  But indoors, a 4' x 3' cage should be the minimum (that is length and width - height can vary, but length and width are most important).  Outdoors, the enclosure should be as large as possible, but 5' x 5' (length x width) is probably a good start.  These sizes are for 1 macaw.  To house them together, try to double the size if possible.

        To introduce them after a quarantine period, you could either start in separate cages in the same room, or even around a corner or in an adjoining room.  They will be able to hear each other and get to know each other from a distance.  Cages can be moved closer together over time, but with at least a few feet of space.

        If you are hoping to house them together, you can let them both out of their cages into a neutral area, supervising the interaction.  They may like each other right off the bat, but they may not.  Hopefully, they won't show aggression toward one another.  If they share space, toys, and food nicely, you may be able to house them together - just watch for signs of territoriality and don't have them share an enclosure before feeling you can trust them with one another.  It may take time.

        You can also do tandem training to build their trust and have them learn from one another.

        Good luck,
        Melissa Kowalski
        Don't forget to become a fan on FaceBook!
        www.crittersandconservation.com

        On May 2, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Claire Waite wrote:

        We have a 20plus female blue and gold who lost her best friend  couple of years ago. We have just recently acquired a male about the same age. What is the best way to introduce them to each other?

        The female's feathers are quite awful since her buddy died. Any ideas on improving them would also be appreciated. I'd also like to know your opinions on the minimum sized enclosures (outside and indoors) to keep two macaws. What substrate do you use?

        Any more information would be appreciated. It's my project to improve the habitat and introduce these two.

        Thank you.
        Claire Waite
        HPZSanctuary

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

      • Melissa Kowalski
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2012
          I forgot to answer your other questions.  Sorry!

          For feather health, red palm tree oil added to the diet usually helps - just a drop or so mixed in with fresh foods.  I've had luck with helping a plucker this way.  Flax seeds are also a good dietary addition.  Of course, daily showers and time in sunlight help, too.  There is also a supplement called Avi-Calm that you may try.

          Substrate can vary - but corn cob is not recommended b/c it can mold quickly.  I use newspaper, but I don't have a stream of visitors - only a few select people - typically, I take my animals to my clients.  You could try butcher paper or wood chips (no cedar or pine).

          I hope this helps.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2012
            Thanks for your information. We are going to start giving her showers and I'll definitely try the other ideas you recommend.
            Claire