Help needed for handbook for Central America

  • Halit Khoshen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2011
      Hello all,

      I am in the process of writing a handbook on welfare and enrichment for captive wildlife in Central America, which will be freely distributed in Spanish and English to Central American zoos, rescue centers and sanctuaries.

      The handbook is divided into three main parts:

      1.  Welfare, rights and wellbeing
      2.  Enrichment
      3. Our wildlife (natural behaviors and comprehensive information on the most frequently seen native wildlife in captivity)

      After working with keepers and visiting rescue centers and zoos, I realized that many of the owners and keepers do care for the animals under their protection, but are simply missing the relevant information and experience in order to better their lives.  Many, if not most, do not possess access to subscription journals, to the internet, nor do they speak English.

      If the information was available in an easy to read, native language, and fully illustrated fashion, they would be able to care for and elevate the quality of life of the animals under their care more easily. And what is more important than the day to day life?

      In order to design the most comprehensive handbook, I need the help of all of you.

      The first handbook is for mammals. It includes the coati, kinkajou, raccoon, jaguar, cougar, jaguaroundi, ocelot, margay cat, tayra, crab-eating fox, grey fox, tapir, spider monkey, night monkey, capuchin monkey, howler monkey, tamarin monkey, 2- and 3- toed sloths, agouti, paca, capybara, squirrels, Northern tamandua, white-tailed deer, red brocket deer, white-lipped peccary, collared peccary, and Rothschild's porcupine.

      If your organization, or yourself, would be willing to help in this enourmeous task, please do not hesitate to contact me at halit.khoshen@... for more information. If you know any organization or person I should contact, please let me know as well.

      All contributions will be fully acknowledged.

      Aid is needed in:

      Enrichment ideas for these species or related species, including step by step explanation on how to build the enrichment, and most importantly, photographs.

      Ohotographs and comments on enrichment ideas that are already written in my draft.

      Enclosure design and furnishing pictures.

      Access to specific articles in certain journals, especially from International Zoo Yearbook, The Shape of Enrichment and Laboratory Animal Science.

      Review of the written chapters, in order to include more examples, on your own experience with certain enrichments for certain species and individual differences within the groups.

      Thank you all in advance,

      Halit Khoshen.

      "Although other animals may be different from us, this does not make them less than us." - Marc Bekoff in Animals Matter.