Re: Pregnant Keeper

  • hudsonvalleychickens
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2009
      New member here-Hudson Valley Game farm owner small local private zoo Hudson Valley NY
      Toxoplasmosis is only dangerous in the first trimester of pregnancy because it can not be treated without harming the fetus
      85% of all mammels (humans) hold a titer meaning it presented as a cold or similiar and then you have the antibodies and can not contract the parasite again.
      I was fortunate enough to have contracted it in my first trimester - that was 28 years ago Baby was fine I have a little scarring in my eye -nothing bad.
      I was working with Raccoons and cats at the time and I was very careless
      Second pregnancy a stallion struck hard without warning and hit my belly I went white,but despite my carelessness both children are healthy and wonderful but if I had to do it over again I would not work directly , hands on with the animals untill the baby was born-I took too many chances I was fortunate and lucky I was not very smart.
      Just an old animal keepers story

      Great group
      thank you
      --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Heather" <snowyegret1999@...> wrote:

      > Just curious on how individuals dealt with their pregnancies while
      > working as a zoo keeper. Were you allowed to work with felines, how
      > long did you work, did they give you an option of light duty and what
      > was it and what kind of clothes did you wear when you got too big for
      > zoo uniform?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Pregnant keeper

    • linda cover
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
        Here's my experience with being pregnant and a zookeeper long ago. With both pregnancies I worked through my eighth month. At the time I was a bird keeper who occasionally did swing. I was also the vet tech. I was not allowed to work in cats. Nor was I allowed to work in hoof stock. There was a concern at the time that feral cats deposited their feces around or in feeders. Between the zoo administration's concern about liabilty and  my Ob's general concern for my and baby's welfare I was somewhat  restricted. I was still able to get around on a bike, lift fairly heavy buckets. In that way my work load was lightened a little but not entirely eliminated.
        Regarding clothing I wore, After I outgrew my keeper uniform, my mother made me what amounts to a pregnant zookeeper shirt. She tracked down fabric which matched the uniform top; obtained patches from the zoo, as well as some AAZK patches and made me enough tops to get me through the last few months of my preganncy. I'm sure a seamstress/taylor could be found locally to make or alter clothing to match your zoo's uniform.
        Hope you find this helpful.
        Linda

        To: zookeeper@yahoogroups.com
        From: hudsonvalleychickens@...
        Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 02:06:14 +0000
        Subject: [zookeeper] Re: Pregnant Keeper

        New member here-Hudson Valley Game farm owner small local private zoo Hudson Valley NY
        Toxoplasmosis is only dangerous in the first trimester of pregnancy because it can not be treated without harming the fetus
        85% of all mammels (humans) hold a titer meaning it presented as a cold or similiar and then you have the antibodies and can not contract the parasite again.
        I was fortunate enough to have contracted it in my first trimester - that was 28 years ago Baby was fine I have a little scarring in my eye -nothing bad.
        I was working with Raccoons and cats at the time and I was very careless
        Second pregnancy a stallion struck hard without warning and hit my belly I went white,but despite my carelessness both children are healthy and wonderful but if I had to do it over again I would not work directly , hands on with the animals untill the baby was born-I took too many chances I was fortunate and lucky I was not very smart.
        Just an old animal keepers story

        Great group
        thank you
        --- In zookeeper@yahoogrou ps.com, "Heather" <snowyegret1999@ ...> wrote:

        > Just curious on how individuals dealt with their pregnancies while
        > working as a zoo keeper. Were you allowed to work with felines, how
        > long did you work, did they give you an option of light duty and what
        > was it and what kind of clothes did you wear when you got too big for
        > zoo uniform?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Pregnant keeper

        Chat with Messenger straight from your Hotmail inbox. Check it out
      • WILDCON2B@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
          To help put things in perspective. Most Toxo positive animals shed Toxo only once in their lives (unless chronic). If they are chronic, it will more than likely be obvious until the animal's death.
          *The animal has to be actively shedding the Toxo
          *It has to be ingested orally through feces while the animal is shedding Toxo
          *Most times, humans are infected through the handling of raw eggs and / or uncooked meats. If they have a cat or a Toxo positive animal, the animal usually gets the blame and is quickly disposed of.
          Simply put, anyone that practices good hygiene, is very unlikely to get infected with Toxoplasmosis.

          Robert Bean
          TNC, Inc.

          In a message dated 12/3/2009 10:59:36 A.M. Central Standard Time, hudsonvalleychickens@... writes:

          New member here-Hudson Valley Game farm owner small local private zoo Hudson Valley NY
          Toxoplasmosis is only dangerous in the first trimester of pregnancy because it can not be treated without harming the fetus
          85% of all mammels (humans) hold a titer meaning it presented as a cold or similiar and then you have the antibodies and can not contract the parasite again.
          I was fortunate enough to have contracted it in my first trimester - that was 28 years ago Baby was fine I have a little scarring in my eye -nothing bad.
          I was working with Raccoons and cats at the time and I was very careless
          Second pregnancy a stallion struck hard without warning and hit my belly I went white,but despite my carelessness both children are healthy and wonderful but if I had to do it over again I would not work directly , hands on with the animals untill the baby was born-I took too many chances I was fortunate and lucky I was not very smart.
          Just an old animal keepers story

          Great group
          thank you
          --- In zookeeper@yahoogrou ps.com, "Heather" <snowyegret1999@ ...> wrote:

          > Just curious on how individuals dealt with their pregnancies while
          > working as a zoo keeper. Were you allowed to work with felines, how
          > long did you work, did they give you an option of light duty and what
          > was it and what kind of clothes did you wear when you got too big for
          > zoo uniform?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Pregnant keeper

        • Donaruma, Jessica
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
            I a currently pregnant with my second child.  Part of my job is felines, otters, venomous snakes and diving.  I do not work the venomous snakes, cats or dive while pregnant.  Light duty depends on your pregnancy and what your doctor recommends.  Mine just said to lift normal amounts that I am used to and do not lift too much.  Listen to your body.

            I personally got some large shirts and have maternity jeans that I wear to work.  Luckly this year I was able to get maternity jeans while ordering uniforms.  Some people here have worn overalls too.  The key is to be comfortable, safe and do what your body/doctor is willing to let you do.
            I hope this helps a little.  My first child came out perfect so no need to worry.  Worrying is worse than the job itself.  BE SAFE and enjoy the pregnancy.  Being a mom is the most rewarding job ever!

            Jessica D. Foti
            Streamside Keeper
            North Carolina Zoological Park
            Asheboro, NC