Ocelot medical advice

  • Dawn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
      I recently have become involved with a wildcat rescue and rehabilitation center in Panama.
      At the moment I travel back and forth from the states but will eventually be buying additional land in the area in order to expand what we have and to eventually become a way station for problem Puma and Jaguar.

      So far we have three ocelots and one oncilla. One of ocelots appears to be pregnant. We do have a local vet but he has limited experience with cats. He is doing the best he can but it has been a learning experience. I have felid keeper experience and have worked with ocelots in the past. However I am not a vet and although I can determine if a cat has a problem due to changes in behavior, feces or urine I am not knowledgeable on how to treat them.

      Can anyone, who has experience with cats such as ocelots, recommend a list of meds we can suggest our vet to stock?

      The Summit Zoo in Panama City is being supportive but they are a 7 hour drive. That is too far in case of an emergency. I'd feel a lot better if our vet had something on hand so we won't have to worry about trying to track something we need down. This is one of the set backs of dealing with wildlife outside of the U.S.

      Thank you
      Dawn Belotti
      Part time keeper
      CT Beardsley Zoo
    • DJG DVM
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
        Hi there here is a list of drugs I'd want to have

        Meloxicam injectable and oral
        Prednisone
        Ketamine
        Dexdomitor
        Nalbuphine or butorphanol
        Orbafloxacin or similar floroquinolone
        Telazol
        Normasol and Lactated ringers fluids
        Cefpodoxime or similar cephalosporin
        Mirtazipine
        Prazocin
        Fenbendazole
        Praziquantel
        Pyrantel Pamoate

        This is just a start I'm sure I'll think of more
        Best wishes.

        Dan

        --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawnbelotti@...> wrote:

        > I recently have become involved with a wildcat rescue and rehabilitation center in Panama.
        > At the moment I travel back and forth from the states but will eventually be buying additional land in the area in order to expand what we have and to eventually become a way station for problem Puma and Jaguar.
        >
        > So far we have three ocelots and one oncilla. One of ocelots appears to be pregnant. We do have a local vet but he has limited experience with cats. He is doing the best he can but it has been a learning experience. I have felid keeper experience and have worked with ocelots in the past. However I am not a vet and although I can determine if a cat has a problem due to changes in behavior, feces or urine I am not knowledgeable on how to treat them.
        >
        > Can anyone, who has experience with cats such as ocelots, recommend a list of meds we can suggest our vet to stock?
        >
        > The Summit Zoo in Panama City is being supportive but they are a 7 hour drive. That is too far in case of an emergency. I'd feel a lot better if our vet had something on hand so we won't have to worry about trying to track something we need down. This is one of the set backs of dealing with wildlife outside of the U.S.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Dawn Belotti
        > Part time keeper
        > CT Beardsley Zoo

      • Dawn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
          Dan

          Thank you so much. We really appreciate this. It was a handful to take on but the reward for looking after these animals is worth it.

          Dawn B.