Good zoo vs "bad" zoo

  • Ansie Vicente
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2009

      Hi all

      I’m a journalist from South Africa , who specializes in reporting on wild animals/animals in zoos, hence my membership of this list.

      In SA, we’ve had a spate of media reports on some truly atrocious zoos locally, and I am writing an article for Animaltalk magazine (biggest companion-animal mag in SA, read by loads of families. We cover wild/zoo animals as well, and have a partnership with Johannesburg Zoo).

      The aim of the article is to help parents choose which zoos to take their kids to. I’m not planning on identifying any particular zoos, but rather to do a general article on what to look out for in a “good” zoo or aquarium, and what warning signs should make you reconsider your visit.

      I have interviews set up with some of our major local zoos, and also with the chair of PAAZAB (Pan African Association of Zoos, Aquariums and Botanical Gardens) but would like some more international input, so I can point out to our readers what international trends are in “good” zoos.

      Any pointers/comments/observations?

      Many thanks

      Ansie Vicente

      Editor-in-chief