Re: Emu Enrichment

  • Eve C
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2008

      Hello,

      Does anyone have any good enrichment ideas for an Emu?  We have a solitary male (we think) who is very calm and is used to human interaction.  If you have any ideas it would be much appreciated.

      Cheers,

      Eve   :O)

    • Carey, Amanda
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi Eve,
        Mirrors, browse, pvc tubes w/ holes to stick browse, crickets, mealworms, brown paper bags w/ food, hay beds, training, grapes, shredded carrots, dandelion greens, windchimes, hanging baby toys, small plastic balls (not small enough to swallow), petting, disco balls hung up to reflect light, scattered grain for foraging....Our guys check anything shiney out. Anything that you can stick grapes in for them to peck out works well.

        Hope this helps,
        :-) Amanda

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi Eve,

          I've noticed that they like feathers from other birds.
          Also, we have made "mobiles" out of tubes and feathers
          and string that they were interested in for a little
          while. I don't know what you feed yours, but the ones
          I worked with liked grapes and monkey biscuits as
          treats. Hope this helps.
          -Katie