Re: [zookeeper] Re: Exotic animal sanctuary

  • Bruce Marion
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2007

      Kurt

         I am also tring to start a wildlife park here in NewHampshire. I have been working hard on it for 5 yrs now and its hard tring to find pepole to help. If you want we can try to help each other.

                                                                                           Bruce

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2007

        Kurt

           I am also tring to start a wildlife park here in NewHampshire. I have been working hard on it for 5 yrs now and its hard tring to find pepole to help. If you want we can try to help each other.

                                                                                             Bruce

        > I would like to start an exotic animal sanctuary in a couple of years
        > and was wondering if anybody has any advice on how this should be
        done.

        Sandy,

        Not knowing what level of experience you have I will start with the
        basics. Volunteer or intern at a sanctuary and get involved in all
        areas such as animal care/management. Learn all the USDA regulations
        and the b/s that goes along with them. Check your county.city ordinance.
        Learn about the book work end of the sanctuary such as records for the
        usda, income/outflow of expenses especially if you are going for a
        501c3. Work beside an exotic veterinarian. Learn how hard it is to find
        dedicated volunteers to help. Learn about applying for grants, and
        fundraising. TALK to other owners of sanctuaries and spend time at
        their facilities to see what,how and why they do things the way they do
        then incorporate the ideas into your own. I have visited alot of
        sanctuaries and have taken some ideas and applied them to the one I am
        park manager of. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

        kurt

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kurt Beckelman
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2007
          Bruce,

          Glad for the invitation. Maybe we can help each other.
          Our problem is finding volunteers who are commited to
          the animals regardless of the weather adn time of day.
          Any suggestions?

          kurt

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Bruce Marion
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2007

               Kurt,

              No matter who is devoted to the animals you would put 150% in the care of them and over 50-70 hrs a week 8-11 hrs a day.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 27, 2007
              Bruce,

              I agree with what you said. Commitment to the animals
              must come first and foremost. I have been resonable
              with our volunteers pertaining to their school,jobs,
              etc. understanding that a volunteer is just that, a
              volunteer who gives what time they have. It is just a
              problem when they do volunteer that they think they
              can come play and not work.

              Be a better pen pal.
            • wayne osborne
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 28, 2007
                People coming and wanting to play happens whether they are volunteers or paid employees. Nobody wants to clean up animal waste, pick up trash, prepare food etc.
                It may seem harsh but I would have them sign a contract and breaking the rules of the contract are immediate dismissal. I would also make sure that the harder they work the better the incentive such as scheduled play time. Increased privileges, excursions etc. After all humans are animals that can be trained and require proper enrichment.

                Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview. mail.yahoo. com/