Re: [zookeeper] interns

  • LCgoldencat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      They generally volunteer their time.  They do things like cleaning exhibits and preparing feed.

    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Praschan <debbie@...> wrote:

        > Are zoo interns generally paid or do they volunteer their time to gain
        > experience? What type of duties might an intern have?

        It depends on the internships. Go to aza.org or aazk.org and click on
        job listings. There's tons of internships posted there, and just
        reading through the descriptions will give you a better idea. There's
        internships available for all aspects of zoos, from education to
        horticulture to fundraising to animal care to vet. If they're paid,
        you probably need to have prior experience.

        Good luck!
        Ashley
      • Kurt
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2007
          --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley" <dodger_bird@...> wrote:

          > --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Praschan <debbie@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Are zoo interns generally paid or do they volunteer their time to
          gain
          > > experience? What type of duties might an intern have?
          > >

          > It depends on the internships. Go to aza.org or aazk.org and click
          on
          > job listings. There's tons of internships posted there, and just
          > reading through the descriptions will give you a better idea.
          There's
          > internships available for all aspects of zoos, from education to
          > horticulture to fundraising to animal care to vet. If they're paid,
          > you probably need to have prior experience.
          >
          > Good luck!
          > Ashley

          In our Intersship program at Safaris Sanctuary in Ok we train the
          intern in areas of animal management, PR, husbandry, park management,
          plus we do alot of hands on with our animals. We feel that the hands
          on developes a bond with the caretaker and animal. We provide
          housing if we have it available. We do not offer any cash stipends.
          the intern must also develope enrichment programs for the animals.

          Kurt

        • sbnjf
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
            Depends on the facility.  Some pay but usually minimum wage, others don't pay anything.  Some that don't pay sometimes offer housing.  You have to really research the positions and facilities and decide what you are able to do.

            Sheila