Zoo stuff

  • n2thwdz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      hey....Also when I was up there shmoozzing with Candy :) I mentioned that I took some Wild Herbivore up to Zebra's........ratted on myself, she would rather I use carrots. After we had that training meeting I asked Jessie if she wanted to start whistling the Zebra's when we put the grain down. I've been doing it but I don't know about her. I asked Candy where she wanted to go with them and she said vaccinations and blood draw. Add it to the list!

      Were you in the breakroom when Dawn was saying she and Jessie got permission to go in with the Bongo calf when they clear Quarantine? Were you part of that conversation?  I hope you are the first one to do it, just to keep an eye on Mom. She takes a pretty aggressive posture towards me when I feed.

      It feels like a couch nite........Karen

    • Silvia Zirkelbach
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Dawn was telling me about the bongo calf, she said when it's warmer Candy said we would/could separate the 2 using the middle stall and then go in with the calf only. No, I was not part of the conversation, I think it was Jessie and Dawn talking to Candy (arggh). I'm sure they started that because Aquatics gets to socialize with the pups. They go talk to Candy more than I ever talk to her. Maybe you and I need to do more shmoozzing, let's start something!! I think I'm just really tired of them always knowing everything first and acting so smug about it. Like the day I saw to collect pre-ship fecal from Chico on the calendar, I said what's this I didn't know he was leaving. And Jessie said we've known for ages that he would get shipped out. Yes, I knew one would but had forgotten about since it hadn't happened in so long. The other day Jessie got permission to leave at 3:00, Brent was doing giraffe routine, and I told her she should do Tumaini's ointment instead of Brent, and she rather smartly said "he probably won't let me do it" and i said "you've got to try".

        I had to go to the pharmacist to get a perscription and that took so long. Came home and fixed a quick supper and watched a bit of TV. I really need to work on bills.

        Why are you ratting on yourself? Candy will fuss at you.

        Silvia
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          I'm starting a non profit FEWERR - the Foundation for Environmental & Wildlife - Education, Research & Rehab.

          I need ideas for cages basically racoons, squirrels, opossums adn probalbly a fox. but the first animals are the most common. I just need the cages as soon as possible.. If I can get them made or even used great ----great My neighbor has killed 2 of my dogs and tried to killed all of my others. I have the poisoned meat in the freezer. soon as my surveilence equipment is up and the critters are safe I sue for her house.  I just want to get past the game warden requirment so I can get a dog rescue for the city. I'm not starting this until my vets think I have everything I need. I'm working with 3 clinics but this neighbor from hell called the animal control today so I own 3 dogs which is allowed but my mothers dogs I'm taking care of. I just got my mother out of the nursing home this week. this bitch is trying to keep me from taking care of my mothers dogs. I need to put this person down. soon as my security system is up we go to court. First dog shot, second 14 year miniture snauzer poisoned I need justice. So any help is apreciaciated.  but what I need now is cage and habitate ideas for these 2  species so I can get licensed and then as a canine rescue help the dogs and help me too.
        • Admin @ Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
            We're a non profit educational wildlife facility - our cages are
            pretty state of the art...for our small animal indoor enclosures
            (lemurs, kinkajous,sloths etc), we use 2x4 wire cattle panels(floors
            are slanted cement for easy cleaning). It's strong enough to suspend
            branches and enrichment items from. At the top of each cage we have
            truck boxes(slightly dented donated by Tractor Supply) that we attach
            a sliding door to - that way the animals can get up into a cozy bed
            and also we can catch them up there when we need to clean the cages.
            For our "mama cages" (the cages the mothers go into to have their
            babies) and this would work for your squirrels, etc, we inlay 1/2" by
            1/2" rabbit wire attached to the 2x4 wire - this way no adult human
            can get their hands in to feed, etc. On the outside perimenter of our
            marsupial habitat, we have hot wire lines and barbed wire lines
            running at the very top and very bottom of the entire enclosure -
            this keeps out coyotes, bobcats and ill-meaning humans and since it's
            on the outside it's of no harm to the animals. Let me know if you'd
            like pictures of any of our cages and I'll email them to you.
            Sara@ sharkarosa.com

            --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, Radar <searchcompanies@...> wrote:

            > I'm starting a non profit FEWERR - the Foundation for Environmental
            & Wildlife - Education, Research & Rehab.

            > I need ideas for cages basically racoons, squirrels, opossums adn
            probalbly a fox. but the first animals are the most common. I just
            need the cages as soon as possible.. If I can get them made or even
            used great ----great My neighbor has killed 2 of my dogs and tried to
            killed all of my others. I have the poisoned meat in the freezer.
            soon as my surveilence equipment is up and the critters are safe I
            sue for her house. I just want to get past the game warden
            requirment so I can get a dog rescue for the city. I'm not starting
            this until my vets think I have everything I need. I'm working with 3
            clinics but this neighbor from hell called the animal control today
            so I own 3 dogs which is allowed but my mothers dogs I'm taking care
            of. I just got my mother out of the nursing home this week. this
            bitch is trying to keep me from taking care of my mothers dogs. I
            need to put this person down. soon as my security system is up we go
            to court. First dog shot, second 14 year
            > miniture snauzer poisoned I need justice. So any help is
            apreciaciated. but what I need now is cage and habitate ideas for
            these 2 species so I can get licensed and then as a canine rescue
            help the dogs and help me too.

          • Debbie Praschan
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2007
              I would very much like to see photos of your enclosures. What
              dimensions are they for each species? The truck boxes- are they the
              diamond plate tool boxes or something else? Tractor Supply donates
              them? Can you send a photo of this too, please? I am just now
              designing enclosures for my zoo and need ideas that work.
              Debbie

              Admin @ Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch wrote:

              > We're a non profit educational wildlife facility - our cages are
              > pretty state of the art...for our small animal indoor enclosures
              > (lemurs, kinkajous,sloths etc), we use 2x4 wire cattle panels(floors
              > are slanted cement for easy cleaning). It's strong enough to suspend
              > branches and enrichment items from. At the top of each cage we have
              > truck boxes(slightly dented donated by Tractor Supply) that we attach
              > a sliding door to - that way the animals can get up into a cozy bed
              > and also we can catch them up there when we need to clean the cages.
              > For our "mama cages" (the cages the mothers go into to have their
              > babies) and this would work for your squirrels, etc, we inlay 1/2" by
              > 1/2" rabbit wire attached to the 2x4 wire - this way no adult human
              > can get their hands in to feed, etc. On the outside perimenter of our
              > marsupial habitat, we have hot wire lines and barbed wire lines
              > running at the very top and very bottom of the entire enclosure -
              > this keeps out coyotes, bobcats and ill-meaning humans and since it's
              > on the outside it's of no harm to the animals. Let me know if you'd
              > like pictures of any of our cages and I'll email them to you.
              > Sara@ sharkarosa.com

            • Radar
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
                yes I'd like pictures I really need to make these cage/habitates as soon as possible but I want to do it right the first time. where did you get the materials do you have internet site or just a farm store. Most of this sounds pretty specialized. not sure how the barbed and hot wire work (hot wire I guess is electric wire) I need finger proofing because sometime I do have single families and small kids. In the future I hope to have all this in a secure area in the yard with a large 2 story barn. I'm setting my house for wheelchair total access. I'm hoping I can integrate feeding babies with disabled vets that can care for themselves or have people to take care of them. so my environmental (human) will work with wildlife hand in hand and help each other. I'm primarily concerned in the adult wildlife especially the rabies vectors in secure settings initially to get started hopefully next year with funds we can make a very secure area away from everyone.