Re: [zookeeper] Lions

  • LCgoldencat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30 4:58 AM
      Heather,
          Our lions love plastic 55 gal. barrels.  I had one lion cub ingest a large amount of a cardboard box once, but other then that they have been fine with it.  You'll always find that one particular animal will eat cardboard, so you have to watch it.
                      Laura
                      Cincinnati Zoo
    • Michelle Wise
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30 5:46 AM

        We have had a group of high school students make large paper mache animals for our lions…They used cardboard tubes, paper, homemade glue, and non toxic paint.  They made us a zebra and the girls mostly just shredded it!  We had no issues with cardboard or anything else in the “zebra.”  We also have given them large boomer balls, ice rings, large sections of cut trees to use as scratching posts, straw filled paper lawn bags with various scents (anise, peppermint, clove, catnip).   I think that AAZK website has some enrichment info posted, and you can also order the Enrichment Notebook from them!

        Hope this helps

        Michelle

        Louisville Zoo

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31 9:49 AM
          We do a wide range of enrichment here for our lions. Here are some I
          can think of off the top of my head:
          scents (around enclosure or on diet)
          catnip
          grain bags
          boxes
          cardboard tubes
          diet in the above three items
          big soda barrels (donated from a local pepsi plant)
          logs hung in holding for scratching
          pvc rattle (big length of pvc capped off at one end, filled with
          rocks, and hung in holding)
          prey resistance device
          boomer balls
          kegs

          We have not had any issues with cardboard.
          Hope this helps.

          Stephanie

          --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Heather" <snowyegret1999@...> wrote:

          > What kind of enrichment do you do for your lions and have you had any
          > issues with card board or other items. Thanks for any information.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Heather

        • Silvia Zirkelbach
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
            We have some boomer balls and other large toys. Also, we use boxes and large paper bags with no problems. In the past we had a lion that ingested a burlap bag so we don't use them anymore. We put some food, straw etc in, sometimes scent or catmint in the bags etc., pile of wood chips, bloodsicles, paper mache or large cardboard box "animals" are great fun. We have 3 lions so we try to have enough items so there won't be a big fight, a little scuffle is no big deal.

            Silvia