Re: [zookeeper] Easy Ways to Mark Lemurs?

  • Chris Law
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2006
      Have you considered PIT (passive integrated transponder) Tags?  They are a good way to mark animals, and are relatively inexpensive.  However, the reader itself could be a little pricey.  They are used on reptiles as well as on the every day dogs and cats (commonly referred to as "microchipping").

      Hope this helps,

      Chris

      Robyn <boundtigress@...> wrote:
      Hello all!  I have three troops of Ring-Tailed Lemurs at my facility
      and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them to aid in
      identifying individuals.  Previously, we have shaved part of the tail
      but this is a high maintenance method and requires continuous
      capturing and stress on the animals.  Does anyone have a better way of
      marking Lemurs to aid in identification???   I could really use the
      help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any advice and any
      fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
      Thank you!!

      Robyn Barfoot
      Mammal Curator
      Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

      Chris Law
      U.A.P.P.E.A.L. (Uniting a Proactive Primate and Exotic Animal League)
      Herpetoculture Element Representative
    • ashbrockett@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 28, 2006
        Usually most keepers I've worked with just know the animals' markings .
        . . often I haven't been able to tell the difference, but they seemed
        to. There's always tattooing, but it's hard to read w/out restraining
        the animal. Another rather labor-intensive, though more fun thing for
        the animal, is training each lemur to target to a specific spot. So
        when you bring the animals in at night, you can ask them to target, and
        they will each go to their individual spot.
        Hope this helps!
        Ashley

        Hello all! I have three troops of Ring-Tailed Lemurs at my facility
        and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them to aid in
        identifying individuals. Previously, we have shaved part of the tail
        but this is a high maintenance method and requires continuous
        capturing and stress on the animals. Does anyone have a better way of
        marking Lemurs to aid in identification??? I could really use the
        help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any advice and any
        fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
        Thank you!!

        Robyn Barfoot
        Mammal Curator
        Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

        Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • oohmystars
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 28, 2006
          I used to work with ring-tailed lemurs. We had green spray paint that
          we would spray different parts of individuals' bodies with, mostly
          tails. Unfotrunately, I can't remember exactly what kind of spray it
          was. Hopefully someone else on this list can be a little more
          helpful. It did however wear off after a little while and needed
          reapplying, but it can be easily sprayed on without restraint and it
          is probably available in other colors as well. Good luck!

          Stephanie Richmond

        • ricerca@parconaturaviva.it
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
            dear Robyn,
            we have two troops of ring-tailed lemurs at our park and I know the
            difficulty to find a good method to identifying the animals. There are
            many students in our zoo who help us to control the colonies and to
            recognize the subjects....
            Moreover I know that many zoo in Europe use collars with numbered medal
            but you have to capture the animals ...

            Donata

            > Hello all! I have three troops of Ring-Tailed Lemurs at my facility
            > and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them to aid in
            > identifying individuals. Previously, we have shaved part of the tail
            > but this is a high maintenance method and requires continuous
            > capturing and stress on the animals. Does anyone have a better way of
            > marking Lemurs to aid in identification??? I could really use the
            > help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any advice and any
            > fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
            > Thank you!!
            >
            > Robyn Barfoot
            > Mammal Curator
            > Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA
            >

            > Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.

            > Animal care Animal rights
            > Animal right shirt
            > Zoology
            > book Zoology degree
            > Exotic animal
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > Visit your group "zookeeper" on the web.

          • Jenny
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
              That's funny, we are having that exact problem right
              now, though we only have 6. Our first attempt at
              marking was with nail polish, which only lasted a few
              days. Our second attempt was with temporary color
              hair spray, which was great the first day but by the
              second day it too was gone. We then went to getting
              mug shots and trying to find differences in their
              faces, and even that is proving to be impossible. So
              I'm up for ideas too!

              --- Robyn <boundtigress@...> wrote:

              > Hello all! I have three troops of Ring-Tailed
              > Lemurs at my facility
              > and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them
              > to aid in
              > identifying individuals. Previously, we have shaved
              > part of the tail
              > but this is a high maintenance method and requires
              > continuous
              > capturing and stress on the animals. Does anyone
              > have a better way of
              > marking Lemurs to aid in identification??? I could
              > really use the
              > help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any
              > advice and any
              > fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
              > Thank you!!
              >
              > Robyn Barfoot
              > Mammal Curator
              > Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • christina whittle
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 30, 2006
                Hi Robyn,
                I have 35 ringtailed lemurs to look after and the only visual sign we have to identify them is that I know their faces!! Believe it or not this is true as we have used other methods including id tags around theirnecks but nothing has proved to be a sucess apart from knowing them! Obviously we have transponder chips in them all but for a quick way to ID them was to painstakingly recognise theor faces!!!

                Good luck!
                Christina Whittle

                South Lakes Wild Animal Park, UK
                Robyn <boundtigress@...> wrote:
                Hello all!  I have three troops of Ring-Tailed Lemurs at my facility
                and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them to aid in
                identifying individuals.  Previously, we have shaved part of the tail
                but this is a high maintenance method and requires continuous
                capturing and stress on the animals.  Does anyone have a better way of
                marking Lemurs to aid in identification???   I could really use the
                help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any advice and any
                fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
                Thank you!!

                Robyn Barfoot
                Mammal Curator
                Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

              • Mitzi Mobley
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                  This may be as difficult as shaving the hair, but nail polish would
                  probably work on one of their nails.. I rehab raccoons and with big
                  litters (many of which are same-sex) I will mark their toenails with
                  polish of different colors. I too found shaving was difficult because
                  their hair grew out too fast. Polish usually lasts a little longer.
                  A more invasive way but permanent solutions, as Im sure you are aware,
                  is notching ears.
                  Mitzi Mobley
                  Licensed Wildlife rehabilitator
                  Fl

                  --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Robyn" <boundtigress@y...> wrote:

                  > Hello all! I have three troops of Ring-Tailed Lemurs at my facility
                  > and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them to aid in
                  > identifying individuals. Previously, we have shaved part of the
                  tail
                  > but this is a high maintenance method and requires continuous
                  > capturing and stress on the animals. Does anyone have a better way
                  of
                  > marking Lemurs to aid in identification??? I could really use the
                  > help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any advice and any
                  > fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
                  > Thank you!!
                  >
                  > Robyn Barfoot
                  > Mammal Curator
                  > Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

                • robyn barfoot
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Stephanie,
                    Thank you for the great idea!  I will look into what kind of spray paint we can use and then our lemurs can be very colorful!  lol
                    Thanks again!

                    Robyn Barfoot
                    Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

                    oohmystars <richmo41@...> wrote:
                    I used to work with ring-tailed lemurs.  We had green spray paint that
                    we would spray different parts of individuals' bodies with, mostly
                    tails.  Unfotrunately, I can't remember exactly what kind of spray it
                    was.  Hopefully someone else on this list can be a little more
                    helpful.  It did however wear off after a little while and needed
                    reapplying, but it can be easily sprayed on without restraint and it
                    is probably available in other colors as well.  Good luck!

                    Stephanie Richmond

                    --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Robyn" <boundtigress@y...> wrote:

                    > Hello all!  I have three troops of Ring-Tailed Lemurs at my facility
                    > and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them to aid in
                    > identifying individuals.  Previously, we have shaved part of the
                    tail
                    > but this is a high maintenance method and requires continuous
                    > capturing and stress on the animals.  Does anyone have a better way
                    of
                    > marking Lemurs to aid in identification???   I could really use the
                    > help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any advice and any
                    > fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
                    > Thank you!!
                    >
                    > Robyn Barfoot
                    > Mammal Curator
                    > Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

                  • robyn barfoot
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Donata,
                      The collars used in Europe sound interesting. At least we would only need to capture them once and we could have different colored metal tags to aid in easier identification.  Fantastic idea!  I will try to contact fellow zookeepers overseas to find out more information and/or complications.  Thank you for your help with this and for empathizing with the difficulty in identifying rings.  :)

                      Robyn Barfoot
                      Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA

                      ricerca@... wrote:
                      dear Robyn,
                      we have two troops of ring-tailed lemurs at our park and I know the
                      difficulty to find a good method to identifying the animals. There are
                      many students in our zoo who help us to control the colonies and to
                      recognize the subjects....
                      Moreover I know that many zoo in Europe use collars with numbered medal
                      but you have to capture the animals ...

                      Donata

                      >     Hello all!  I have three troops of Ring-Tailed Lemurs at my facility
                      >  and am looking for ideas on how to easily mark them to aid in
                      >  identifying individuals.  Previously, we have shaved part of the tail
                      >  but this is a high maintenance method and requires continuous
                      >  capturing and stress on the animals.  Does anyone have a better way of
                      >  marking Lemurs to aid in identification???   I could really use the
                      >  help since we now have 16 of them! I appreciate any advice and any
                      >  fantastic ideas on enrichment are always welcome. :)
                      >  Thank you!!
                      >
                      >  Robyn Barfoot
                      >  Mammal Curator
                      >  Cougar Mountain Zoo, WA
                      >

                      >   Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.

                      >    Animal care                                       Animal rights
                      >                                       Animal right shirt
                      >                                                           Zoology
                      > book                                       Zoology degree
                      >                              Exotic animal
                      >          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >      Visit your group "zookeeper" on the web.
                      >      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      >      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • Debbie Praschan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2006
                        It sounds like spray marking paint used for hogs & cattle. You can find
                        it at www.qcsupply.com They call it FIL Tail Paint Aerosol. It comes
                        in 6 colors. Their catalog says it will last for several weeks. They
                        also have a few other spray and stick marking products.
                        Debbie

                        oohmystars wrote:

                        >I used to work with ring-tailed lemurs. We had green spray paint that
                        >we would spray different parts of individuals' bodies with, mostly
                        >tails. Unfotrunately, I can't remember exactly what kind of spray it
                        >was. Hopefully someone else on this list can be a little more
                        >helpful. It did however wear off after a little while and needed
                        >reapplying, but it can be easily sprayed on without restraint and it
                        >is probably available in other colors as well. Good luck!

                      • dadcooke2000
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2006
                          --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, ashbrockett@... wrote:

                          > Usually most keepers I've worked with just know the animals'
                          markings .
                          > . . often I haven't been able to tell the difference, but they
                          seemed
                          > to. There's always tattooing, but it's hard to read w/out
                          restraining
                          > the animal. Another rather labor-intensive, though more fun thing
                          for
                          > the animal, is training each lemur to target to a specific spot.
                          So
                          > when you bring the animals in at night, you can ask them to
                          target, and
                          > they will each go to their individual spot.
                          > Hope this helps!
                          > Ashley

                          Use Mocrochip with #'s and a hand held scanner like they do doge.
                          Also the harness with a dogtag name and animal # is a good idea.

                          Joe