blue tongue skinks

  • Hope Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 1999
      Julie,
      Oh goodness,
      There weights are really quite varied according to species. Example
      northern blue tongues tend to get about twice the size of indonesion ones
      etc. (now there is always the extreme on that doesn't fit in) I honestly
      don't weigh them unless they get sick. What you are looking for that shows
      they are to thin is there back bone potruding and also there tail bone.
      Skinks store there extra fat in their tail. If there tail is thin then you
      know you have a problem! (either not enought food but more likely parasites
      internally are eating all there food) You cannont go by there belly. A big
      belly does not mean they are fat or thin. As far as obesity- the way they
      are built they alway look like little potbellies!! Unfortunatly it is hard
      to tell when they are obese and usually kidney problems will hit way before
      it is obvious that they are overfed. BUT if they have extra lumps and
      bumps on there body they are way to fat! Feeding them everyday guarantees
      a way to fat skink also. Mine are only fed every three days and honestly if
      I go away or something- I will leave them without food for a week. I know
      this is hard to comprehend but that's how reptiles work. They don't
      energize there food near as quickly as mammals. As far as heat. I
      honestly just make sure the heat pad is warm and not burning hot and my room
      is a little above room temp.
      I noticed there were quite a few other responses to your question so others
      may actually try to keep their's at a certain temp. Also, remember this is
      just how I do it. Others may have a different methond that works also.
      Comments from others are welcomed
      Hope
      Wildlife Wonders