Re: [zookeeper] Re: Katrina update?

  • Cyndi Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
      Not true.   The Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo did a total evacuation three times in 11 months.
      I know, because I'm the Head Keeper. It's extremely hard, but absolutely possible. If we would not have evacuated, most (about 90%) of the animals would have drowned.

      Cyndi

      zookeeperhtx <mikeyc681@...> wrote:
      Its totally a good question that you asked. I just had alittle sense
      that you distrusted zoos alittle bit.  Honestly it would be darn near
      impossible to evacuate a entire zoo for a storm. Zoos are forced to
      put a value systems on which animals are most important for the
      species, etc and those are the ones that are sent out to other zoos.

      Luckily the Audubon Zoo was above sea level. It would be a totally
      different story if it was flooded like the rest of the city is/was.

      Lets just all hope that there are no more natural diseasters for a
      while. Two is more than enough for this year.

      --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <neverneverland21@y...> wrote:
      > I use to be a keeper at a local private zoo and things didnt really
      go
      > well, I havent found a job working in another zoo so till then I
      just
      > do my research on animals and hope one day I can get back into that.
      > was joking about the bear. I ment how they are all rescuing the
      dogs,
      > putting them on boats and bringing them to temp shelters in crates.
      > THAT an average person cant do, yes a keeper could if they knew the
      > animal well enough and the animal knew them. I was joking didnt mean
      > offend anyone. Sorry.
      >
      > Jess

      Yahoo! for Good
    • M C

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 14, 2005
            Cyndi-how are you holding up now that some time has
            passed and things might be more back to normal? What
            do you need? Is there anything someone can do from
            Chicago? Marybeth

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
          • Cyndi Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 15, 2005
              Thanks so much!!  We've really been lucky! We have great community support and are just about ready to open. It's been over a year, and the animals are really missing the public.The only thing I could ask you to do is Pray that we don't get another Hurricane in the near future. The Director has been in talks with land owners, to move the zoo in the next three years. It's going to take some time, but will be well worth it in the long run. We are a tough little zoo, that will continue to do whatever is necessary to keep the animals alive and well cared for. My staff is the most awesome group of people that I've ever known, and it's because of them that we made through some terrible times.
                                                                  Thanks for your concern !!!
                                                                             Cyndi Johnson
                                                                              Head Keeper