Re: [zookeeper] Bobcat Wormer

  • KLauer13@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      We have 2 female bobcats both about 8 years old.  They only get raw meat, chicken, horsemeat, beef, bones...and we worm them every 28 days with ivomec put directly in their food.  We also do this for our cougars, and so far have had no problems.  We also use Pro-Derma V skin and coat enhancer on their diets daily.
      Kelly
      West Orange, NJ
    • jennifer london
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
        Your easiest and best bet for internal parasites would be to have a fecal test done. Ours do lose weight during the summer months.
        Hope this little tid bit helps.

        Jen
        Irvine Park Zoo
        Chippewa Falls, WI
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
          In a message dated 06/30/2005 1:20:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lucyleopard@... writes:

          Hi,

          I was wondering if there is a certain type of wormer that would work
          effectivly on a bobcat (3 years old).  She is on the Mazzuri diet, but
          does eat raw meat occassionally.  She is small for a bobcat, but
          lately she is looking thin and her coat is dull, so I am thinking it
          may be due to summer or perhaps a parsite.  Any advice on what else to
          look for would be appreciated!

          Talie

          Talie,
               There are several ways to approach the worming process. If you think there is a heavy infestation or you are seeing worms in the feces, there is no need to pay for a fecal to be done by a vet. For a fecal to be done thoroughly, it needs to be done a few days in a row.
          Since we know that there are always going to be parasites whether by diet, fleas, flies or little animals running through the cages, it's best to just worm on a schedule depending on the amount of exposure to parasites. I've heard some zoo vets recommend monthly and some recommend quarterly. We don't have much exposure, so we worm once in the spring and once in the fall. Our parasitologist tells us any more would be unnecessary.

          Fenbendazole (Panacur) Roundworms (Nematodes) -  Panacur is not approved for use in cats, but it is used in cats very successfully. Panacur's most common forms are granules or suspension. Some use Panacur for 3 consecutive days. We have had better luck with and recommend 5 consecutive days.  We use Panacur (Fenbendazole) paste at 50 mg/kg PO for 5 days. If there is a heavy parasite load, repeat in 2-3 weeks.

          We have used Ivermectin with good results at 200 mg/kg PO, repeat in 2-3 weeks for parasites.
          Dose at 0.024 mg/kg (24 micrograms/kg) if there is a high risk of heartworm.

          Praziquantel (Droncet) Tapeworms (Cestodes) - at 5 mg. per kg will usually do the job.
          If you want to be sure, dose at 7.5 mg. per kg for two (2) consecutive days.

          Praziquantel/pyrantel pamoate (Drontal) as per directions.

          R. Bean

        • Richard McCort

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2005
              In a message dated 07/04/2005 7:16:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, richard@... writes:

              all worming should be the result of a positive faecal check (this does include the observation of parasites within faeces)

              If done properly, there will always be positive results on the fecal check for parasites on carnivores that eat raw meat and / or live outside. It's just a matter of how heavy the parasite load is. Parasites are found in almost all forms of raw meat regardless of whether it comes from the store or is prey.
              Worming too frequently allows parasites to build resistance to the drugs (a good reason to alternate drugs). Not worming enough can allow parasites to become a health risk for the animal.

              R. Bean
            • wildlifesurvivalsanctuary
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
                Talie,
                I'm not sure where you are located but we use Ivermectin to deworm our
                felines every 45 days and we do a Panacur treatment once a year. We
                also do a series of fecals every other month just to be sure. Some
                parasites will not show up in just one fecal test, you should have your
                vet do a series over a few days of different samples. We're located in
                Florida so we deal with lots of parasites. Hope this helps!

                --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "lucyleopard" <lucyleopard@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I was wondering if there is a certain type of wormer that would work
                > effectivly on a bobcat (3 years old). She is on the Mazzuri diet, but
                > does eat raw meat occassionally. She is small for a bobcat, but
                > lately she is looking thin and her coat is dull, so I am thinking it
                > may be due to summer or perhaps a parsite. Any advice on what else to
                > look for would be appreciated!
                >
                > Talie
              • Richard McCort
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9, 2005
                  I would definitely say that that level off anthelminthic treatment is much
                  higher thn required,

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 18, 2005
                    Sorry its taken me so long to respond, I don't check this site too
                    often. I should clarify that we use the Ivomec as a preventative for
                    heartworms also, that is the justification for the every 45 day
                    treatment.

                    --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, "Richard McCort" <richard@m...>