Re: [zookeeper] Re: pregnant zookeepers?

  • Stacey G Nathanson
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
      At 03:48 PM 3/26/2005, you wrote:
      >In a message dated 03/18/2005 12:42:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      >allison@... writes:
      >
      >>Most of the reason you cannot change litter boxes while pregant is
      >>that cats can carry the protist toxoplasmosa (found in cat feces)
      >>which a huge percentage of birth defects come from.
      >

      >No offense, but this information is incorrect. This misinformation has
      >been the cause of many pet cats being dumped on animal shelters or
      >euthanized. It is caused mainly from the lack of understanding of how
      >Toxoplasmosis works.
      >Explained in the condensed form, the cat has to be shedding the parasite
      >through it's feces (which in most cases happens only once in the animals
      >life). The pregnant human must have hygiene habits that allow her to
      >orally ingest feces that contain the toxo eggs. It is usually only
      >problematic if she is infected during one trimester of pregnancy (I forget
      >which). Humans are much, much more likely to be infected by toxoplasmosis
      >from improperly handling raw eggs and raw meat in the kitchen.

      Just to add to this...

      The greatest risk to the fetus is during the first trimester. However, the
      risk is only for new exposures. If you are already toxo positive then you
      don't have to worry about a new exposure. You also can not get toxo from
      fresh poop. It takes about 48 hours before toxo sheds out of the feces. If
      you are cleaning poop daily (or even every other day) you are eliminating a
      huge risk of disease transmission. Finally, the other big way to get toxo
      (not sure if this was already mentioned) is by gardening.

      So, wear gloves and was your hands often. :-)

      Stacey
    • Richard McCort
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
        also adult cats rarely shed, usually only kittens etc

        >>In a message dated 03/18/2005 12:42:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        >>allison@... writes:
        >>
        >>>Most of the reason you cannot change litter boxes while pregant is
        >>>that cats can carry the protist toxoplasmosa (found in cat feces)
        >>>which a huge percentage of birth defects come from.
        >>

        >>No offense, but this information is incorrect. This misinformation has
        >>been the cause of many pet cats being dumped on animal shelters or
        >>euthanized. It is caused mainly from the lack of understanding of how
        >>Toxoplasmosis works.
        >>Explained in the condensed form, the cat has to be shedding the parasite
        >>through it's feces (which in most cases happens only once in the animals
        >>life). The pregnant human must have hygiene habits that allow her to
        >>orally ingest feces that contain the toxo eggs. It is usually only
        >>problematic if she is infected during one trimester of pregnancy (I forget
        >>which). Humans are much, much more likely to be infected by toxoplasmosis
        >>from improperly handling raw eggs and raw meat in the kitchen.
        >

        > Just to add to this...
        >
        > The greatest risk to the fetus is during the first trimester. However,
        > the
        > risk is only for new exposures. If you are already toxo positive then you
        > don't have to worry about a new exposure. You also can not get toxo from
        > fresh poop. It takes about 48 hours before toxo sheds out of the feces.
        > If
        > you are cleaning poop daily (or even every other day) you are eliminating
        > huge risk of disease transmission. Finally, the other big way to get toxo
        > (not sure if this was already mentioned) is by gardening.
        >
        > So, wear gloves and was your hands often. :-)
        >
        > Stacey
        >

        > Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • IAN
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
          I am not sure if it has been mentined but there are so many zoonotic
          deseases that put pregnant woman at risk, that it is better to not
          to take any risk.

          --- In zookeeper@yahoogroups.com, Stacey G Nathanson <teej@p...>