wobbly hedgehog syndrome

  • bigcatsaver
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      I am attempting to write a paper for a class about wobbly hedgehog
      syndrome...does anyone have any specific information? While looking
      at the few websites there are out there, there aren't any that
      really go into any detail about what is going on and why the
      symptoms exist. I have heard that there isn't much known about the
      disease yet, but do we know what is causing the symptoms? I read
      that it seems to have similar effects to multiple sclerosis in
      humans...are they enough alike that I can use information from MS to
      write my paper? Are there any other symptoms come with WHS or is
      wobbling and paralysis the only ones? Do we know what is occuring
      with the disease, I guess I mean what is being attacked? Is it the
      central nervous system? Any other additional information you might
      have would be great.
    • Lisa Laskoski
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
        There is a Yahoo group for hedgehogs that I was once a member of (I don't
        have the address). They had a lot of useful information about hedgehogs in
        thier file section and I remember the wobbly hedgehog syndrom being a topic
        of conversation. Someone in that group had an article on it. I don't know
        how professional, medical it is. But that could be a start for you.

        Lisa

        >I am attempting to write a paper for a class about wobbly hedgehog
        >syndrome...does anyone have any specific information? While looking
        >at the few websites there are out there, there aren't any that
        >really go into any detail about what is going on and why the
        >symptoms exist. I have heard that there isn't much known about the
        >disease yet, but do we know what is causing the symptoms? I read
        >that it seems to have similar effects to multiple sclerosis in
        >humans...are they enough alike that I can use information from MS to
        >write my paper? Are there any other symptoms come with WHS or is
        >wobbling and paralysis the only ones? Do we know what is occuring
        >with the disease, I guess I mean what is being attacked? Is it the
        >central nervous system? Any other additional information you might
        >have would be great.

      • Shiloh Underkoffler
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
          We have 0.2 African White Bellied Hedgehogs in our collection. From what we've found in terms of research - it is a fairly new condition that has been discovered. Whether or not it is an actual disease or disorder is unknown at this point. What part of the body being attacked as well (ie: central nervous system or neurological) But primarily, the cases that were studied were in relation to poor diet (ie: lack of fat/protein).

          Lisa Laskoski <lslzoorvt@...> wrote:

          There is a Yahoo group for hedgehogs that I was once a member of (I don't
          have the address). They had a lot of useful information about hedgehogs in
          thier file section and I remember the wobbly hedgehog syndrom being a topic
          of conversation. Someone in that group had an article on it. I don't know
          how professional, medical it is. But that could be a start for you.

          Lisa

          >I am attempting to write a paper for a class about wobbly hedgehog
          >syndrome...does anyone have any specific information? While looking
          >at the few websites there are out there, there aren't any that
          >really go into any detail about what is going on and why the
          >symptoms exist. I have heard that there isn't much known about the
          >disease yet, but do we know what is causing the symptoms? I read
          >that it seems to have similar effects to multiple sclerosis in
          >humans...are they enough alike that I can use information from MS to
          >write my paper? Are there any other symptoms come with WHS or is
          >wobbling and paralysis the only ones? Do we know what is occuring
          >with the disease, I guess I mean what is being attacked? Is it the
          >central nervous system? Any other additional information you might
          >have would be great.

          Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Ruth Kime