Re: [zookeeper] another question- zookeeping position qualification

  • scookuf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2004
      Red Cross- CPR/First Aid Certification is also good to have as a keeper, as well as a diving certification for certain zookeeping positions that require cleaning glass in under water exhibits (marine mammals, aquatic birds, hippos, fresh/salt water aquariums, shark, rays, etc.)

      Suzie
    • scookuf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2004
        Learning Spanish, at least in heavily Spanish speaking areas, is a good trait to have. Not only can you interact more with the public who only speak spanish, but with others you work with who may only speak spanish. I just moved to South Florida and could only wish I was fluent in Spanish... I'm trying!  It's just such a heartbreak when a little child comes up to you and asks you a question and you're not sure exactly what they're asking~ when all they want to know is more about the animals you're so passionate about :)  I'm bet it's a similar circumstance to those who live near French speaking areas of Canada.

        Suzie
      • nusilusi
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
          Dear James,

          I recently became a full-time keeper. It can be a daunting task to
          try to gain experience and guess what qualifications will get you
          the job.

          I am fluent in Spanish and can tell you it will not be the deciding
          factor in getting a position at a zoo unless it is specifically
          mentioned in the job description.

          Definitly get as much hands on experience as you can through
          volunteering, internships or a job at a vet clinic or pet store. Are
          you considering going to school in Texas? I am a graduate of UT and
          would be glad to email you some ideas on places to intern or classes
          to take.

          Good luck,

          Holly
        • standup83us
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2004
            Holly,
            Thank you for your response. Though I am from Texas, I am
            trying to get enrolled for the 3+2 year zoo tech co-op program
            between the State University of New York at Oswego and Santa Fe
            Comm. College in Gainesville, Florida. While neither location is my
            first choice for a life career, this seems to the best of my
            knowledge to be a promising venture for a future career elsewhere in
            the US. (Perhaps back in Texas) So, I'm appealing to this program
            for admission this coming fall, and if that doesn't work may re-
            evaluate my options.

            I might end up just going to Texas A&M (it's cheap and accessible to
            me) and then separately going for the 2 year Applied Associate's of
            Science degree at Santa Fe. Either way, I'd really appreciate being
            able to ask you later on about intern possibilities. Did you see my
            inquiry about bear keeper internships?

            Sincerely,
            James
            College Station, TX
          • scookuf@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
              i had two friends who went to A and M and loved it... interned w/ them at SeaWorld. i went to Santa Fe and loved it..so either way James you're probably set :)

              Suzie