Re: [zookeeper] salaries

  • Nathan Wheelock
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
      I am an wildlife educator, and was wondering which
      AZA facility you work for?

      --- DJ Allan <masilod0402@...> wrote:
      > I am the director of animal care for a private non
      > AZA enviromental education company, that has a wide
      > variety of animals. I make $27,000 yearly without
      > counting over time or holiday pay. Hope this helps.
      >

      > bigcatsaver <bigcatsaver@...> wrote:
      > Is anyone willing to share about how much they make
      > a year being a
      > zoo keeper or animal caretaker? Also do you work in
      > an AZA zoo,
      > animal sanctuary, or other?
      > Thanks
      >

      > Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from
      > better care.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • Jean Ervin
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
        Nathan - what exactly does a wildlife educator do?  And please don't say "Educate the public about wildlife".  I mean where do you do this, etc.?

        Jean

        --- DJ Allan wrote:
        > I am the director of animal care for a private non
        > AZA enviromental education company, that has a wide
        > variety of animals. I make $27,000 yearly without
        > counting over time or holiday pay. Hope this helps.
        >

        > bigcatsaver wrote:
        > Is anyone willing to share about how much they make
        > a year being a
        > zoo keeper or animal caretaker? Also do you work in
        > an AZA zoo,
        > animal sanctuary, or other?
        > Thanks
        >

        > Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from
        > better care.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Nathan Wheelock
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
          In my experience, wildlife educators create classes,
          programs, clean enclosures,behavioral
          enrichment,etc.....basically one part zookeeper, and
          one part trainer. We use whatever animals are at are
          disposal for presentations, use intertaining and
          suprising facts, so that makes us one part showsman as
          well. Not that we do not use bio-artifacts at times,
          but our main expertise is live-handling of a wide
          variety of animals.
          I forgot to mention that I am not currentally
          professionally employed. I am seeking employment, with
          many organizations, on-going application process in
          the works at many of them ( Natural Encounters for
          one...Denver Zoo, Kentucky Down Under, etc....)
          If you need a more specific answer, or other
          questions, I would be glad to answer them.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2004
            Nope - thank you for the answer.  I have never heard that term for those duties, although the volunteers where I am do all those duties.  For some reason I had envisioned some rarified position that only one or two in the US had.  Funny how some words bring an image to mind!

            Jean