specializing in animals?

  • Amy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      I've been reading the e-mails about specializing in one animal or
      many and came up with two questions, so if you could help me answer
      one or both please do!

      1. Can you specializing in an animal or biomoe at college, or do you
      need to do more training at a hands-on animal facility?

      2. Once you decide what you want to specialize (ex. Mammals, or
      Cats, etc.), how can you find out if the college offers you to
      speacilize in it.

      Thanks!

      Amy
    • scookuf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
        Usually in study you do not specialize in any one species of animal or family group until graduate school when you may do studies or write a thesis on a particular animal/family group of your choosing with the help of a graduate advisor. In undergrad most majors are biology, zoology, or wildlife, rarely can you find a mammology or herpetology (for example) major, but you may find an individual course or two that may concentrate on your focus (ex. Avian Biology).

        When you gain experience at a zoo your preferences may change so it's good to have the background/education with many different species. You may need to assist in other areas/relief keeper/training, etc. In alot of zoos, from what I gather, you don't usually work with one type of animal (unless say you're an Elephant Keeper, but also they may work with hoofstock etc.) Most zoos you work with a combination of species and family groups (ex. birds and small primates in the rainforest section, etc.). This is not to say you cannot work with the species you want to focus on, just that most likely you'll also learn to enjoy working with other species too :)

        Hope it helps!
        Suzie
      • roophie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
          Those a good questions...I'm interested to see the answers to those
          too. :)

          -Ruthie