Re: Another question to stir up some activity

  • Mindy Stinner
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1 5:14 AM
      Sorry!

      At 10:30 AM 7/31/99 +0200, you wrote:
      >From: "David Kupitz" <anoa@...>
      >
      >Just to get it right. "Scheisskopf" isn't Russian but German.
      >
      >David
      >
      >-----Urspr´┐Żngliche Nachricht-----

    • GCarr
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 5 8:17 PM
        >Message: 1
        > Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:06:52 -0500
        > From: Jazmyn Concolor <jazmyn@...>
        >Subject: Another question to stir up some activity
        >
        >I thought this might be fun to ask.
        >
        >For those who work at zoos where they give the animals names, what is
        >the biggest 'Groaner' (pun name) or silliest name you have seen an
        >animal named at the zoo or zoos you have worked with?
        >
        >The zoo I worked with didn't officially name any of their animals due to
        >the curator not liking to ' anthropomorphize ' animals, though some of
        >the keepers had 'secret' names for the animals.

        Hiya! This is my first post. My name is Gloria and I volunteer in Oregon
        Zoo's (formally Metro Washington Park Zoo) birds of prey program. (Actually
        we are no longer a "bird of prey" program because we now have a stork,
        raven, and parrot, but what the heck...) Some of the groaner names we have
        for the birds are...

        Stark Raven
        Andy the Andean Condor
        Barny the Barn Owl
        Chinook the Bald Eagle (Chinook is a popular name for Bald Eagles)
        Mariah the (male) Golden Eagle (ya know "They call the wind Mariah!")
        Solva the Eurasian Eagle Owl (Solva is Russian for owl, although the way the
        voting is going it looks like his new name is Mozart)
        and last but not least.....<drum roll> Abigail "Abbey" the Abdium Stork!

        >The biggest groaner of a name I've heard in zoos in general, was Dean.
        >Dean is the yellow-throated marten at the San Diego Zoo. Any music
        >lover over 40 or person who likes old movies will get the joke.

        Ah, please enlighten those of us who are of the younger generation.

        Gloria Carr
        /\ /\
        ( *v* )
        (/ \)
        ~"~"~
      • GCarr
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 5 8:36 PM
          ___

          >Message: 19
          > Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:19:25 -0400
          > From: thomas gordon-kerrigan <strgzer007@...>
          >Subject: Re: Another question to stir up some activity

          <snip>

          >Turkey Vultures name Barf and Arnold (Barf was short for Barfolomew) ha
          >ha but so fitting

          We have a Barn Owl named Barny and a Turkey Vulture named Clyde. Think
          about it, Barny and Clyde........

          <snip>

          >a Harris Hawk named Sweetie who hated most everyone

          We used to have an American Kesterl named Killer (<sniff> I miss you little
          guy!) who was the exact oppisite of your Sweetie, although I understand when
          they named Killer he deserved it..

          >PT and Knuckles both great horned owls....pt for physical therapy
          >because he went through a lot and knuckles because she lost her wing at
          >the wrist.

          We have a Great Horned Owl named Hooter. What are yours like? Hooter's
          really sweet.

          Gloria Carr

          /\ /\
          ( *v* )