Re: [zookeeper] Orang enclosures

  • Paul Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
      Chester Zoo in the UK www.chesterzoo.org.uk also uses water moats, both inside enclosures and outside areas for their orang's. To my knowledge thay have never had any problems.

      Roseann Zuehl <rzuehl@...> wrote:
      Hi there!  I'm not a keeper, but I do volunteer at our local zoo and shelter.  But, I just wanted to tell you that the Houston Zoo's exhibit for them has a water moat on one side and a glass (or whatever material) wall on the other side.  So, the visitors can get close to them.  You might be able to contact them on how well it works here.  The main number for the docent office where they could hopefully direct you to the keeper in that area is 713-533-6541.

      Good Luck!
      -Roseann

      Valerie <blueflamingo@...> wrote:
      I would think a water moat would be dangerous for any of the great apes, since they can't swim. What if one slipped and fell in?

      Val