Re: [zookeeper] need help

  • dogman1014@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 29, 2001
      Have a redtail hawk, Could some one tell me what to feed him.  Got hit by a car, i think so??... he missing part of his arm. Cant' fly that good.  Also when i can take him. to get more help..
    • n2thwdz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
        If you would like to contact me privately I could help you find a liscensed
        rehabber in your area. Chances are the bird needs to be treated for shock
        first and feeding it would cause more harm than good. Karen
      • Jennifer Burgess
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
          Try to contact a local vet that deals in wildlife.
          You need to contact a local raptor rehabilitator. You
          may be able to find this out through your vet or state
          wildlife department or a zoo near you. Don't feed it
          anything! If it hasn't had food in a while it's
          system won't be able to handle trying to digest
          anything. It can go into shock and die. Be careful!
          Even a sick raptor can hurt you severely! The less
          you mess with it the better!

          Good Luck!
          Jenn
          --- dogman1014@... wrote:
          > Have a redtail hawk, Could some one tell me what
          > to feed him. Got hit by a
          > car, i think so??... he missing part of his arm.
          > Cant' fly that good. Also
          > when i can take him. to get more help..

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com
        • Claire Waite
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
            Your hawk needs to be seen by a vet first to determine
            the extent of his injury. If your facility is unable
            to do that, a rehabber in the area can help. If it is
            determined that he can be saved and your facility can
            house him = great. We here at Heritage Park Zoo in
            Prescott, Az have a female red tail that was shot and
            left to die (bastards - sorry)! Anyway, she has only
            one wing and we house her in an enclosure that is high
            enough that she can stay away from keepers when we
            service the enclosure. If the hawk can't get high
            enough, she will become nervous and may injure herself
            by falling etc. We feed ours full grown rats once per
            day. We feed dead prey of course for a bird that can
            no longer catch live prey. Our hawk whose age is
            unknown, has thrived with us for about 8 or so years
            and she is an "ambassador" for her species and can
            hopefully teach the human species to leave well enough
            alone and take respectful care if one is accidentally
            injured. With any adult animal/bird that has known
            what it's like to be free, especially birds,
            rehabilitation and conditioning to captivity can be
            difficult. Patience is vital. Sudden movement inside
            the enclosure can be stressful, so even now, we are
            careful not to stress her out. We put perches inches
            or no more than a foot apart so she can easily hop
            down/up. She does well.
            Any more info I can impart, let me know.
            ccwzoo@...

            Claire Waite

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2001
              Thank, the hawk is ok,, missing the fly feather, on one arm.   Will,, feather come back soon.????
            • dogman1014@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2001
                Jenn, this one is nice ,  Maybe some one pet??
              • Jennifer Burgess
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2001
                  We're still talking about a hawk right? :) Uhhhhh
                  I can't imagine it would be someone's pet.... in my
                  experience Hawks don't act extremely aggressive but
                  NEVER underestimate them! Even a sick Hawk can do
                  extensive damage. If the hawk is really stressed out
                  he could be really inactive....(or what would appear
                  as friendly) If you can find a rehabilitator in your
                  area that might be really helpful. Well..... its
                  still alive so thats GREAT!!! Is it eating? and if
                  so what?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2001
                    deer meat,  and  rats,,, thank you
                  • Jennifer Burgess
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
                      I'm glad she/he is eating! What are your long term
                      plans?
                      --- dogman1014@... wrote:
                      > deer meat, and rats,,, thank you

                      Find a job, post your resume.
                      http://careers.yahoo.com
                    • J Phillips
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 22, 2001

                        Is anyone having trouble with there animals loosing weight on the Nebraska Feline Diet.  I am seeing alot of our animals droping weight in the last 6 months and was woundering if it could be because of the diet.

                        Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.

                        Do You Yahoo!?
                        Send your FREE holiday greetings online at Yahoo! Greetings.
                      • Jungletouch
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 23, 2001
                          I havent seen weight falling off but I did hear about some problems a few Zoo's and some private people were having some calcium absorbtion problems with their cats. The common denominator was the nebraska. So I called Marvin ( the Nebraska contact person ) and he said that the diet we are using (Nebraska premium) is void of vitamins. Even though it says they are in there on the package, they are not added in. I personally think this is a crappy thing to not tell the zoo's and other using the Nebraska brand diets. I was told they are coming out with a new premium diet that will have all the vitamins and minerals in it. Which diet are you using by the way. There the feline, the canine, canine premium that most zoo's use. The premium is the diet designed by Zegfried and Roy for their cats. But they are now using missing link and had the vitamins taken out of the horsemeat. Another thing I have looked into is the fact the the regular Nebraska diet is NOT USDA inspected. They use the sick horses in that diet. Like  ones with cancers and tumors anad the sort. There was also a problem with some animals dying from Antifreeze types of problems. This was also suspect of Nebraska brand diets. I have an article on it some place. I'll see if I can locate it and forward it to the list here.

                          Gary

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 23, 2001
                            We haven't seen that problem here in Maine, but diring the winter months we increase the amount they are fed.
                            -BJ

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 23, 2001
                              what about bears diets,,,,,,
                            • endofaunzoo@mweb.co.za
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 25, 2001
                                We subscribe to a number of forum's, and find it the same on most
                                of them. In certain countries there are commercially marketed
                                animal diets which are not available in other countries. Asking
                                questions or relating to problems or good points about these diets
                                really mean nothing to those not familiar with these diets, without
                                the composition analysis of the diet.
                                .
                                What is "Nebraska Feline Diet"?

                                > We haven't seen that problem here in Maine, but diring the winter months we increase the amount they are fed.
                                > -BJ

                                J.F.Magill (Director)
                                Endofaun Zoo
                                P.O. Box 136