Re: Movie monkey

  • C&K Rogers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 1999
      On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Jazmyn Concolor wrote:

      > From: Jazmyn Concolor <jazmyn@...>
      >
      > I happened to actually watch a tape of the movie Outbreak. Am I the
      > only one who wondered about the fact that the 'African' monkey in the
      > film was in fact a white-face Capuchin, which is a South American
      > species?
      >
      > That's one well traveled primate there. Wonder if she got frequent flyer
      > miles? (grin)

      I've seen capuchins in many movies set in Africa. I guess maybe this is
      an easy monkey for Hollywood filmmakers to get. My husband & I even have
      a running joke: "Oh there's that African capuchin again." It drives me
      crazy but I guess most people do not know the difference?

      It is always interesting to pick out the inaccuries in wildlife-based
      movies, but I guess some are getting better. I am told that the movie
      Instinct was pretty good & also the new Disney cartoon, Tarzan, seems to
      have its facts straight about gorillas - maybe because Disney is now in
      the zoo business & has knowledgeable people to consult? :) I haven't seen
      either of these movies yet, so this is just what I've heard, but the
      person who told me was also a keeper.

      Caroline
    • Sheila Barrios or Jane French
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 1999
        I saw this same movie on tv the other night and realized the same thing.
        This is a common practice in the movie industry to misrepresent the habitat,
        etc. of animals. They think the general public won't know the difference.
        I think they are wrong, I think with more people becoming involved in
        conservation efforts and such that they are also becoming more familiar with
        species habitats. It would be nice if the movie industry would stop
        treating the general public as idiots and instead do their homework before
        they misrepresent animals in their movies.

        Sheila