RE: [zookeeper] enrichment day ideas

  • Sharyn Bonfonti
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
      Christina--
      One simple thing they can do is to drill random holes in lengths of PVC pipe, which can later be filled with peanut butter, raisins, etc.  Our lemur love this special treat!  Have fun!
      Sent: 1/30/01 11:50:50 PM
      Subject: [zookeeper] enrichment day ideas

      We are going to have our first enrichment day at our zoo this spring and I'm
      looking for some good ideas.  I'm looking for more major ideas that community
      groups could help us prepare ahead of time (hammocks from fire hoses, puzzle
      boxes...).  Any suggestions or general ideas about making an enrichment day a
      big success would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!  Christina

      Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.

    • Pohjie@mailcity.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2001
        We got a bunch of burlap sacks donated and had kids fill them with
        shredded paper and hay, then scent the contents with spices and
        perfumes. We tied them shut and gave them to our cats (leopards and
        lions), who loved them.
        Parrot puzzle feeders are also cheap and easy to make
        The kids also loved seeing the boomer balls after the lions and
        mandrills had left claw marks in them.