Re: [zookeeper] elephant ethogram

  • Stephen Wickens
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
      Our journal 'Animal Welfare' published a paper in 1995 on 'Keeping circus
      elephants temporarily in paddocks- the effects on their behaviour' by J
      Schmid in Volume 4(2) 87-107. It contains a simple ethogram. The abstract
      for this paper can be accessed via the UFAW website at
      www.ufaw3.dircon.co.uk

      Regards

      Stephen Wickens, PhD
      Development Officer,
      UFAW, The Old School, Brewhouse Hill, Wheathampstead, Herts. AL4 8AN, UK.
      Tel no: +44 (0) 1582 831818. Fax: +44 (0) 1582 831414.
      Email: wickens@.... Website:http://www.ufaw3.dircon.co.uk
      Reg. Charity No: 207996

      ----------
      : From: li <eevn@...>
      : To: animaltraining@egroups.com; cognition@egroups.com;
      ethology@egroups.com; zoo-awareness@egroups.com; zoo-voluteers@egroups.com;
      zookeeper@egroups.com; zoology@egroups.com
      : Subject: [zookeeper] elephant ethogram
      : Date: Thursday, August 31, 2000 12:24 AM
      :
      :
      : I'm going to be starting a new research project on
      : african elephants, does anyone have an ethogram
      : (behavior checklist) for female african elephants?
      :
      : Thanks,
      : Li Van Nostrand
      : Seneca Park Zoo
      :
      : __________________________________________________
      : Do You Yahoo!?
      : Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
      : http://mail.yahoo.com/
      :
      :
      : Sharing knowledge so that animals may benefit from better care.
    • jazmyn
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
        I'm not so sure that a report from a group who went in trying to PROVE
        that Circuses are bad for elephants would be completely unbiased and
        accurate in their reporting. I would look for several sources from
        zoologists seeking the truth and not seeking to prove some point for
        'political gain'.
        AZA might be able to point out studies done on elephants that were done
        by qualified people who know elephant behavior.