Re: ssh or porting other apps (was: hackability of the zipit?)

  • Ken McGuire
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
      oops... there seems to be a problem with .44, I accidently copied the
      binary of .41 over to the zipit rather than the one I just built of
      .44

      .44 just hangs when trying to do anything with keys. Makeing them,
      using them. Back to the drawing board. But .41 does work as shown in
      my post. There are some security problems with <.43 as detailed on the
      dropbear web site.

      As to how I flashed my Zipit, I have ZipitPet to thank.
      The only reliable way atm is via the serial port. It is not easy to
      solder to. So your choices are to wait for ZipitPet's wireless
      flashing method, or solder on 5 wires and build a MAX233A translator.

      Building software for the Zipit is relatively easy using Buildroot.
      Fitting it onto the Zipit's limited flash is not quite as easy. There
      still seem to be some hard coded flash locations within the Zipit
      bootloader that limit how large and where things are located.
      Using Buildroot, I was able to build working (other than dropbear ;>()
      packages without any patches. Buildroot (thanks to Erik Andersen)
      builds the cross tools, and many usefull packages automagically.

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, David Davis <david.davis@g...>
      wrote:
      > Sweet! Where are the files? What method are you using to flash the
      ZipIt?

      <snip>
    • Ken McGuire
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
        .44 now works, it was a problem with /dev/random blocking if the
        system doesn't have enough "entropy". changing to /dev/urandom caused
        it to work. May not be the right long term answer, but it wasn't my
        compiler/build system that broke it. ;>))

        http://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/dropbear/2005q1/000151.html

        ...ken...
      • ZipItPet
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
          > As to how I flashed my Zipit, I have ZipitPet to thank.
          > The only reliable way atm is via the serial port. It is not easy to
          > solder to. So your choices are to wait for ZipitPet's wireless
          > flashing method, or solder on 5 wires and build a MAX233A
          translator.

          I've added more info to my webpage (including marked up versions of
          the scans from Andrew)

          http://www.aibohack.com/zipit

          ------
          I've also added a poll to measure the interest in different hacking
          combinations

          There are several options:

          Willing to attempt the hardware 5 wire soldering trick
          Willing to attempt the software only trick, and am prepared to do
          the (easier) 3 wire version soldering trick if the ROM gets screwed
          up
          Willing to attempt the software only trick, and won't complain if I
          have to throw out my $100 Zipit if the ROM gets screwed up
          Do nothing right now, maybe later
          No interest in hacking the Zipit

          If you are interested in hacking the Zipit in the next month or two
          time frame, it is important you vote.
        • Andrew Hakman
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
            Hi

            Just one thing - no 'c' in my name. Thanks for the better wiring diagram.

            Andrew Hakman

            On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:41:36 -0000, ZipItPet <aibopet@...> wrote:

            > > As to how I flashed my Zipit, I have ZipitPet to thank.
            > > The only reliable way atm is via the serial port. It is not easy to
            > > solder to. So your choices are to wait for ZipitPet's wireless
            > > flashing method, or solder on 5 wires and build a MAX233A
            > translator.
            >
            > I've added more info to my webpage (including marked up versions of
            > the scans from Andrew)
            >
            > http://www.aibohack.com/zipit
            >
            > ------
            > I've also added a poll to measure the interest in different hacking
            > combinations
            >
            > There are several options:
            >
            > Willing to attempt the hardware 5 wire soldering trick
            > Willing to attempt the software only trick, and am prepared to do
            > the (easier) 3 wire version soldering trick if the ROM gets screwed
            > up
            > Willing to attempt the software only trick, and won't complain if I
            > have to throw out my $100 Zipit if the ROM gets screwed up
            > Do nothing right now, maybe later
            > No interest in hacking the Zipit
            >

            > If you are interested in hacking the Zipit in the next month or two
            > time frame, it is important you vote.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • David Davis
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
              Hi,

              I own zipitlinux.com (currently forwards to a page on my site) If
              there is a need for a general hacking site for the zipit. I can host
              a wiki or something (suggestions?) that we can all use. I know we
              have the yahoo group, but a wiki site could supplement it. What does
              everyone think?

              --
              David Davis
              Perl Programmer

              Try CPAN Suggest!
              http://cpan.teknikill.net/
            • tim@rikers.org
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
                There is a wiki page here (MoinMoin):

                http://eLinux.org/wiki/ZipIt

                It supports attachments etc. Feel free to register and update info
                there. While I'm on the subject:

                #eLinux on irc.freenode.net always has a bunch of embedded Linux folk
                on it. Feel free to drop by.