RE: [zipitwireless] Switching lurking switch to OFF

  • Keith McKibbin
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
      Tom,

      Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.

      So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa as
      frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set up lunch.
      :-)

      -Keith

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
        Steve,

        "Hope this helps a bit." <= helps more than just one bit, helps many many
        BITS!!

        Thanks for the info, I'll take a good look at it this weekend.

        -Keith

        "There are 1 out of every 10 people that understand binary".

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
          I also use Ext2 IFS from http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
          and it's excellent. It's so unnoticable I had to go to add/remove programs just to remember which one I was using. It supports reads and writes, and I've read and written a lot of stuff from my ext3 partitions and never had an issue.

          Andrew Hakman

          On 12/8/05, icarus902 <icarus902@...> wrote:
          Ext2fsd does indeed work as an ext2 driver for windows.  I use and
          actually prefer it as it seems more stable (on my system) than the
          alternatives.  Some limitations:

          1) ext2fsd views a write to disk as dangerous, and therefore mounts
          the volume as readonly. however, writing is possible. Write access to
          the harddrive requires a registry edit. specifically:

          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ext2Fsd\Parameters]
          "WritingSupport"=dword:00000001

          (the dword at first is set to 0 and thus disabled)

          2.) This driver can only mount ext2 systems, not journaling ext3.
          However, if you find yourself ever needing to mount ext3, know that
          ext3 was designed to be backwards compatible with ext2.  Older systems
          merely mount as an ext2 volume and do not write to the journal.  If
          you wish to mount and write to an ext3 volume in windows, a registry
          key "Ext3ForceWriting" in the same location as above must also be set to 1

          3.) A very nice alternative with a nice interface, but about the same
          level in capabilities can be found here

          http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

          4.) Whereas ext2fsd uses a command line program to mount and unmount
          volumes, the ext2 IFS driver above is more cleanly integrated with the
          system.  Ext2fsd can be started as a service automatically, but the
          default is to be initiated by user.

          As always, read the documentation.

          5.) Keep in mind that windows is by necessity unaware of any unix file
          permissions;  any files you write to the volume will be world
          readable/writable/exectuable.  Simply change the permissions
          appropriately via native linux.

          As always, your mileage may vary.  Hope this helps a bit.  Do let us
          know if you find any better solutions.

          -Steve

          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Collins <tom@t...> wrote:

          > On Dec 8, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Keith McKibbin wrote:
          > >  Googled "linux ext mount windows" came back with only 844,000
          hits so
          > >  don't think mounting the SD Card from Windows will be a problem.
          > > Thanks for
          > >  pointer.
          >
          > This one looks promising:
          >
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
          >
          > Ext2Fsd is an open source Ext2 file system driver for Windows
          > (NT/2K/XP). "Explorer" your linux ext2 volumes with ease under windows
          > systems.
          >
          > Tom Collins
          > Tom Logic LLC
          > PO Box 5717
          > Napa, CA 94581
          > (707) 265-6622
          > (707) 265-6646 fax
          > tom@t...

          Wireless communication Wireless communication system Wireless communication and networking
          Wireless communication network Wireless communication services

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • kmckibbin_99
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2005
            All,

            Interesting update ... it appears that I can drag and drop from
            Windows XP to/from an SD Card and drag and drop from the SD Card
            to/from Ubuntu, using straight out of the box Ubuntu. Been doing it
            all day without a problem, pretty cool!!

            AND THE SAGA BEGINS:

            Mmmm, 3 installs of Ubuntu today just to get it working right, one
            of these days I'm going to slow down enough to RTFM!!

            Now if I could just get my WiFi (Netgear USB MA111 or Netgear PCMCIA
            Card MA421, both Prism2) working with Ubuntu??? Any tips?

            Zipit coming my way via UPS, I way scored on eBay!!

            Keith

            --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McKibbin"
            <kmckibbin@m...> wrote:

            > Tom,
            >
            > Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.
            >
            > So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa
            as
            > frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set
            up lunch.
            > :-)
            >
            > -Keith

          • bomberman0
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
              Hi Keith,

              Search http://www.ubuntuforums.org for "Netgear USB MA111" and you
              will find your answer.
              :)

              (The Ubuntu forums are insanely useful...)

              Albert

              --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "kmckibbin_99" <kmckibbin@m...>
              wrote:

              > All,
              >
              > Interesting update ... it appears that I can drag and drop from
              > Windows XP to/from an SD Card and drag and drop from the SD Card
              > to/from Ubuntu, using straight out of the box Ubuntu. Been doing it
              > all day without a problem, pretty cool!!
              >
              > AND THE SAGA BEGINS:
              >
              > Mmmm, 3 installs of Ubuntu today just to get it working right, one
              > of these days I'm going to slow down enough to RTFM!!
              >
              > Now if I could just get my WiFi (Netgear USB MA111 or Netgear PCMCIA
              > Card MA421, both Prism2) working with Ubuntu??? Any tips?
              >
              > Zipit coming my way via UPS, I way scored on eBay!!
              >
              > Keith
              >
              > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McKibbin"
              > <kmckibbin@m...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Tom,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.
              > >
              > > So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa
              > as
              > > frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set
              > up lunch.
              > > :-)
              > >
              > > -Keith

            • Keith McKibbin
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
                Albert,

                Yep, searching the Ubuntu forums is on the list ... now if I could just get
                more than the 2 minute bursts of free time to play with Ubuntu/Zipit.

                Thanks,

                Keith

                wrote:

                > All,
                >
                > Interesting update ... it appears that I can drag and drop from
                > Windows XP to/from an SD Card and drag and drop from the SD Card
                > to/from Ubuntu, using straight out of the box Ubuntu. Been doing it
                > all day without a problem, pretty cool!!
                >
                > AND THE SAGA BEGINS:
                >
                > Mmmm, 3 installs of Ubuntu today just to get it working right, one
                > of these days I'm going to slow down enough to RTFM!!
                >
                > Now if I could just get my WiFi (Netgear USB MA111 or Netgear PCMCIA
                > Card MA421, both Prism2) working with Ubuntu??? Any tips?
                >
                > Zipit coming my way via UPS, I way scored on eBay!!
                >
                > Keith
                >
                > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McKibbin"
                > <kmckibbin@m...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Tom,
                > >
                > > Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.
                > >
                > > So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa
                > as
                > > frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set
                > up lunch.
                > > :-)
                > >
                > > -Keith

                Yahoo! Groups Links