Ext2 in Win --- WAS: Switching lurking switch to OFF

  • icarus902
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
      Ext2fsd does indeed work as an ext2 driver for windows. I use and
      actually prefer it as it seems more stable (on my system) than the
      alternatives. Some limitations:

      1) ext2fsd views a write to disk as dangerous, and therefore mounts
      the volume as readonly. however, writing is possible. Write access to
      the harddrive requires a registry edit. specifically:

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ext2Fsd\Parameters]
      "WritingSupport"=dword:00000001

      (the dword at first is set to 0 and thus disabled)

      2.) This driver can only mount ext2 systems, not journaling ext3.
      However, if you find yourself ever needing to mount ext3, know that
      ext3 was designed to be backwards compatible with ext2. Older systems
      merely mount as an ext2 volume and do not write to the journal. If
      you wish to mount and write to an ext3 volume in windows, a registry
      key "Ext3ForceWriting" in the same location as above must also be set to 1

      3.) A very nice alternative with a nice interface, but about the same
      level in capabilities can be found here

      http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

      4.) Whereas ext2fsd uses a command line program to mount and unmount
      volumes, the ext2 IFS driver above is more cleanly integrated with the
      system. Ext2fsd can be started as a service automatically, but the
      default is to be initiated by user.

      As always, read the documentation.

      5.) Keep in mind that windows is by necessity unaware of any unix file
      permissions; any files you write to the volume will be world
      readable/writable/exectuable. Simply change the permissions
      appropriately via native linux.

      As always, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps a bit. Do let us
      know if you find any better solutions.

      -Steve

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Collins <tom@t...> wrote:

      > On Dec 8, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Keith McKibbin wrote:
      > > Googled "linux ext mount windows" came back with only 844,000
      hits so
      > > don't think mounting the SD Card from Windows will be a problem.
      > > Thanks for
      > > pointer.
      >
      > This one looks promising:
      >
      > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
      >
      > Ext2Fsd is an open source Ext2 file system driver for Windows
      > (NT/2K/XP). "Explorer" your linux ext2 volumes with ease under windows
      > systems.
      >
      > Tom Collins
      > Tom Logic LLC
      > PO Box 5717
      > Napa, CA 94581
      > (707) 265-6622
      > (707) 265-6646 fax
      > tom@t...

    • Keith McKibbin
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
        Tom,

        Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.

        So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa as
        frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set up lunch.
        :-)

        -Keith

        On Dec 8, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Keith McKibbin wrote:
        > Googled "linux ext mount windows" came back with only 844,000 hits so
        > don't think mounting the SD Card from Windows will be a problem.
        > Thanks for
        > pointer.

        This one looks promising:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

        Ext2Fsd is an open source Ext2 file system driver for Windows
        (NT/2K/XP). "Explorer" your linux ext2 volumes with ease under windows
        systems.

        Tom Collins
        Tom Logic LLC
        PO Box 5717
        Napa, CA 94581
        (707) 265-6622
        (707) 265-6646 fax
        tom@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Keith McKibbin
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
          Steve,

          "Hope this helps a bit." <= helps more than just one bit, helps many many
          BITS!!

          Thanks for the info, I'll take a good look at it this weekend.

          -Keith

          "There are 1 out of every 10 people that understand binary".

          Ext2fsd does indeed work as an ext2 driver for windows. I use and
          actually prefer it as it seems more stable (on my system) than the
          alternatives. Some limitations:

          1) ext2fsd views a write to disk as dangerous, and therefore mounts
          the volume as readonly. however, writing is possible. Write access to
          the harddrive requires a registry edit. specifically:

          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ext2Fsd\Parameters]
          "WritingSupport"=dword:00000001

          (the dword at first is set to 0 and thus disabled)

          2.) This driver can only mount ext2 systems, not journaling ext3.
          However, if you find yourself ever needing to mount ext3, know that
          ext3 was designed to be backwards compatible with ext2. Older systems
          merely mount as an ext2 volume and do not write to the journal. If
          you wish to mount and write to an ext3 volume in windows, a registry
          key "Ext3ForceWriting" in the same location as above must also be set to 1

          3.) A very nice alternative with a nice interface, but about the same
          level in capabilities can be found here

          http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

          4.) Whereas ext2fsd uses a command line program to mount and unmount
          volumes, the ext2 IFS driver above is more cleanly integrated with the
          system. Ext2fsd can be started as a service automatically, but the
          default is to be initiated by user.

          As always, read the documentation.

          5.) Keep in mind that windows is by necessity unaware of any unix file
          permissions; any files you write to the volume will be world
          readable/writable/exectuable. Simply change the permissions
          appropriately via native linux.

          As always, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps a bit. Do let us
          know if you find any better solutions.

          -Steve

          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Collins <tom@t...> wrote:

          > On Dec 8, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Keith McKibbin wrote:
          > > Googled "linux ext mount windows" came back with only 844,000
          hits so
          > > don't think mounting the SD Card from Windows will be a problem.
          > > Thanks for
          > > pointer.
          >
          > This one looks promising:
          >
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
          >
          > Ext2Fsd is an open source Ext2 file system driver for Windows
          > (NT/2K/XP). "Explorer" your linux ext2 volumes with ease under windows
          > systems.
          >
          > Tom Collins
          > Tom Logic LLC
          > PO Box 5717
          > Napa, CA 94581
          > (707) 265-6622
          > (707) 265-6646 fax
          > tom@t...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Andrew Hakman
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
            I also use Ext2 IFS from http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
            and it's excellent. It's so unnoticable I had to go to add/remove programs just to remember which one I was using. It supports reads and writes, and I've read and written a lot of stuff from my ext3 partitions and never had an issue.

            Andrew Hakman

            On 12/8/05, icarus902 <icarus902@...> wrote:
            Ext2fsd does indeed work as an ext2 driver for windows.  I use and
            actually prefer it as it seems more stable (on my system) than the
            alternatives.  Some limitations:

            1) ext2fsd views a write to disk as dangerous, and therefore mounts
            the volume as readonly. however, writing is possible. Write access to
            the harddrive requires a registry edit. specifically:

            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ext2Fsd\Parameters]
            "WritingSupport"=dword:00000001

            (the dword at first is set to 0 and thus disabled)

            2.) This driver can only mount ext2 systems, not journaling ext3.
            However, if you find yourself ever needing to mount ext3, know that
            ext3 was designed to be backwards compatible with ext2.  Older systems
            merely mount as an ext2 volume and do not write to the journal.  If
            you wish to mount and write to an ext3 volume in windows, a registry
            key "Ext3ForceWriting" in the same location as above must also be set to 1

            3.) A very nice alternative with a nice interface, but about the same
            level in capabilities can be found here

            http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

            4.) Whereas ext2fsd uses a command line program to mount and unmount
            volumes, the ext2 IFS driver above is more cleanly integrated with the
            system.  Ext2fsd can be started as a service automatically, but the
            default is to be initiated by user.

            As always, read the documentation.

            5.) Keep in mind that windows is by necessity unaware of any unix file
            permissions;  any files you write to the volume will be world
            readable/writable/exectuable.  Simply change the permissions
            appropriately via native linux.

            As always, your mileage may vary.  Hope this helps a bit.  Do let us
            know if you find any better solutions.

            -Steve

            --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Collins <tom@t...> wrote:

            > On Dec 8, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Keith McKibbin wrote:
            > >  Googled "linux ext mount windows" came back with only 844,000
            hits so
            > >  don't think mounting the SD Card from Windows will be a problem.
            > > Thanks for
            > >  pointer.
            >
            > This one looks promising:
            >
            > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
            >
            > Ext2Fsd is an open source Ext2 file system driver for Windows
            > (NT/2K/XP). "Explorer" your linux ext2 volumes with ease under windows
            > systems.
            >
            > Tom Collins
            > Tom Logic LLC
            > PO Box 5717
            > Napa, CA 94581
            > (707) 265-6622
            > (707) 265-6646 fax
            > tom@t...

            Wireless communication Wireless communication system Wireless communication and networking
            Wireless communication network Wireless communication services

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • kmckibbin_99
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 12, 2005
              All,

              Interesting update ... it appears that I can drag and drop from
              Windows XP to/from an SD Card and drag and drop from the SD Card
              to/from Ubuntu, using straight out of the box Ubuntu. Been doing it
              all day without a problem, pretty cool!!

              AND THE SAGA BEGINS:

              Mmmm, 3 installs of Ubuntu today just to get it working right, one
              of these days I'm going to slow down enough to RTFM!!

              Now if I could just get my WiFi (Netgear USB MA111 or Netgear PCMCIA
              Card MA421, both Prism2) working with Ubuntu??? Any tips?

              Zipit coming my way via UPS, I way scored on eBay!!

              Keith

              --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McKibbin"
              <kmckibbin@m...> wrote:

              > Tom,
              >
              > Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.
              >
              > So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa
              as
              > frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set
              up lunch.
              > :-)
              >
              > -Keith

            • bomberman0
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
                Hi Keith,

                Search http://www.ubuntuforums.org for "Netgear USB MA111" and you
                will find your answer.
                :)

                (The Ubuntu forums are insanely useful...)

                Albert

                --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "kmckibbin_99" <kmckibbin@m...>
                wrote:

                > All,
                >
                > Interesting update ... it appears that I can drag and drop from
                > Windows XP to/from an SD Card and drag and drop from the SD Card
                > to/from Ubuntu, using straight out of the box Ubuntu. Been doing it
                > all day without a problem, pretty cool!!
                >
                > AND THE SAGA BEGINS:
                >
                > Mmmm, 3 installs of Ubuntu today just to get it working right, one
                > of these days I'm going to slow down enough to RTFM!!
                >
                > Now if I could just get my WiFi (Netgear USB MA111 or Netgear PCMCIA
                > Card MA421, both Prism2) working with Ubuntu??? Any tips?
                >
                > Zipit coming my way via UPS, I way scored on eBay!!
                >
                > Keith
                >
                > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McKibbin"
                > <kmckibbin@m...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Tom,
                > >
                > > Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.
                > >
                > > So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa
                > as
                > > frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set
                > up lunch.
                > > :-)
                > >
                > > -Keith

              • Keith McKibbin
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
                  Albert,

                  Yep, searching the Ubuntu forums is on the list ... now if I could just get
                  more than the 2 minute bursts of free time to play with Ubuntu/Zipit.

                  Thanks,

                  Keith

                  wrote:

                  > All,
                  >
                  > Interesting update ... it appears that I can drag and drop from
                  > Windows XP to/from an SD Card and drag and drop from the SD Card
                  > to/from Ubuntu, using straight out of the box Ubuntu. Been doing it
                  > all day without a problem, pretty cool!!
                  >
                  > AND THE SAGA BEGINS:
                  >
                  > Mmmm, 3 installs of Ubuntu today just to get it working right, one
                  > of these days I'm going to slow down enough to RTFM!!
                  >
                  > Now if I could just get my WiFi (Netgear USB MA111 or Netgear PCMCIA
                  > Card MA421, both Prism2) working with Ubuntu??? Any tips?
                  >
                  > Zipit coming my way via UPS, I way scored on eBay!!
                  >
                  > Keith
                  >
                  > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McKibbin"
                  > <kmckibbin@m...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Tom,
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the info and link, I'll check it out this weekend.
                  > >
                  > > So you're up in Napa? I'm in Silicon Valley but make it up to Napa
                  > as
                  > > frequent as I can ... I'll have my Zipit contact your Zipit to set
                  > up lunch.
                  > > :-)
                  > >
                  > > -Keith

                  Yahoo! Groups Links