Re: [zipitwireless] Re: ssh or porting other apps (was: hackability of the zipit?)

  • David Davis
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
      Sweet! Where are the files? What method are you using to flash the ZipIt?

      David

      On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:44:34 -0000, Ken McGuire <kenm@...> wrote:

      > I have dropbear .44 working. Using the standard ram based file system
      > you have to either rebuild the keys each boot-up or pre-build the keys
      > and zip them up into the user.gz before flashing. That is unless
      > eveyone wants to use the same keys. ;P
      > Thi binary is ~130k stripped and there are some lib's req'd.
      >
      > login as: root
      > root@192.168.0.89's password:
      >

      > BusyBox v1.00 (2005.02.14-18:33+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
      > Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
      >
      > # ls
      > # ps
      > PID Uid VmSize Stat Command
      > 1 root 144 S init
      > 2 root SW [keventd]
      > 3 root SWN [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
      > 4 root SW [kswapd]
      > 5 root SW [bdflush]
      > 6 root SW [kupdated]
      > 35 root 152 S /sbin/getty -L ttyAM1 57600 vt100
      > 36 root 128 S /usr/sbin/telnetd -l /bin/login
      > 37 root 292 S -sh
      > 47 root SW [rpciod]
      > 64 root 312 S /usr/sbin/dropbear
      > 68 root 516 S /usr/sbin/dropbear
      > 69 root 232 S -sh
      > 77 root 164 R ps
      > # ldd /usr/sbin/dropbear
      > ldd: can't open cache '/etc/ld.so.cache'
      > libutil.so.0 => /lib/libutil.so.0 (0x4000d000)
      > libz.so => /lib/libz.so (0x40016000)
      > libcrypt.so.0 => /lib/libcrypt.so.0 (0x4002c000)
      > libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0x40048000)
      > ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x40000000)
      >
      > #ls -la /usr/sbin
      > drwx--S--- 2 root root 1024 Dec 31 17:03 .
      > drwx------ 5 root root 1024 Feb 22 2005 ..
      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Feb 26 2005 chroot ->
      > ../../bin/busybox
      > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 133144 Dec 31 17:03 dropbear
      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Feb 26 2005 rdate ->
      > ../../bin/busybox
      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Feb 26 2005 telnetd ->
      > ../../bin/busybox
      > #
      >
      > ...ken...
      >
      > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, David Davis <david.davis@g...>
      > wrote:
      > > I'm more interested in getting a ssh daemon on this. Any takers?
      > >
      > > David
      > >
      > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:15:57 -0000, ZipItPet <aibopet@a...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald J Normandin Jr."

      > > > little box?
      > > >
      > > > Standard Linux utilities should be easy.
      > > > It takes someone with the interest to build them....
      > > >
      > > > There aren't standard drivers for the screen and keyboard (yet),
      > but
      > > > cynfab is working on those.
      > > >
      > > > Other caveats:
      > > > The LCD screen is small (320x240 pixels, 40x30 characters in an
      > 8x8
      > > > font)
      > > > The keyboard is not a full keyboard. If you want characters that
      > > > don't exist for Zipit chat you will have to add additional alt
      > > > sequences (eg: {, }, [, ], %, ~, | are missing)

> [...]

      David Davis
      Perl Programmer
      http://teknikill.net/

      Try CPAN Suggest!
      http://cpan.teknikill.net/
    • Ken McGuire
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
        oops... there seems to be a problem with .44, I accidently copied the
        binary of .41 over to the zipit rather than the one I just built of
        .44

        .44 just hangs when trying to do anything with keys. Makeing them,
        using them. Back to the drawing board. But .41 does work as shown in
        my post. There are some security problems with <.43 as detailed on the
        dropbear web site.

        As to how I flashed my Zipit, I have ZipitPet to thank.
        The only reliable way atm is via the serial port. It is not easy to
        solder to. So your choices are to wait for ZipitPet's wireless
        flashing method, or solder on 5 wires and build a MAX233A translator.

        Building software for the Zipit is relatively easy using Buildroot.
        Fitting it onto the Zipit's limited flash is not quite as easy. There
        still seem to be some hard coded flash locations within the Zipit
        bootloader that limit how large and where things are located.
        Using Buildroot, I was able to build working (other than dropbear ;>()
        packages without any patches. Buildroot (thanks to Erik Andersen)
        builds the cross tools, and many usefull packages automagically.

        wrote:
        > Sweet! Where are the files? What method are you using to flash the
        ZipIt?

        <snip>
      • Ken McGuire
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
          .44 now works, it was a problem with /dev/random blocking if the
          system doesn't have enough "entropy". changing to /dev/urandom caused
          it to work. May not be the right long term answer, but it wasn't my
          compiler/build system that broke it. ;>))

          http://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/dropbear/2005q1/000151.html

          ...ken...
        • ZipItPet
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
            > As to how I flashed my Zipit, I have ZipitPet to thank.
            > The only reliable way atm is via the serial port. It is not easy to
            > solder to. So your choices are to wait for ZipitPet's wireless
            > flashing method, or solder on 5 wires and build a MAX233A
            translator.

            I've added more info to my webpage (including marked up versions of
            the scans from Andrew)

            http://www.aibohack.com/zipit

            ------
            I've also added a poll to measure the interest in different hacking
            combinations

            There are several options:

            Willing to attempt the hardware 5 wire soldering trick
            Willing to attempt the software only trick, and am prepared to do
            the (easier) 3 wire version soldering trick if the ROM gets screwed
            up
            Willing to attempt the software only trick, and won't complain if I
            have to throw out my $100 Zipit if the ROM gets screwed up
            Do nothing right now, maybe later
            No interest in hacking the Zipit

            If you are interested in hacking the Zipit in the next month or two
            time frame, it is important you vote.
          • Andrew Hakman
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
              Hi

              Just one thing - no 'c' in my name. Thanks for the better wiring diagram.

              Andrew Hakman

              On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:41:36 -0000, ZipItPet <aibopet@...> wrote:

              > > As to how I flashed my Zipit, I have ZipitPet to thank.
              > > The only reliable way atm is via the serial port. It is not easy to
              > > solder to. So your choices are to wait for ZipitPet's wireless
              > > flashing method, or solder on 5 wires and build a MAX233A
              > translator.
              >
              > I've added more info to my webpage (including marked up versions of
              > the scans from Andrew)
              >
              > http://www.aibohack.com/zipit
              >
              > ------
              > I've also added a poll to measure the interest in different hacking
              > combinations
              >
              > There are several options:
              >
              > Willing to attempt the hardware 5 wire soldering trick
              > Willing to attempt the software only trick, and am prepared to do
              > the (easier) 3 wire version soldering trick if the ROM gets screwed
              > up
              > Willing to attempt the software only trick, and won't complain if I
              > have to throw out my $100 Zipit if the ROM gets screwed up
              > Do nothing right now, maybe later
              > No interest in hacking the Zipit
              >

              > If you are interested in hacking the Zipit in the next month or two
              > time frame, it is important you vote.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • David Davis
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
                Hi,

                I own zipitlinux.com (currently forwards to a page on my site) If
                there is a need for a general hacking site for the zipit. I can host
                a wiki or something (suggestions?) that we can all use. I know we
                have the yahoo group, but a wiki site could supplement it. What does
                everyone think?

                --
                David Davis
                Perl Programmer

                Try CPAN Suggest!
                http://cpan.teknikill.net/
              • tim@rikers.org
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
                  There is a wiki page here (MoinMoin):

                  http://eLinux.org/wiki/ZipIt

                  It supports attachments etc. Feel free to register and update info
                  there. While I'm on the subject:

                  #eLinux on irc.freenode.net always has a bunch of embedded Linux folk
                  on it. Feel free to drop by.