Re: [zipitwireless] Zipits and MAC addresses (was messing around with Zipit application)

  • Samson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2005
      on my laptop running linux, i can type in
      ifconfig eth1 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06
      and my wireless card (eth1) is now running with a new MAC address

      however it doesn't work on the zipit. Now that its been brought up,
      does anybody have any clue as to what layer this fails on the zipit
      at?

      I was hoping the MAC actually used was the one from the flash rom. It
      didn't sound too crazy to me, as to edit the MAC on an apple laptop,
      theres a bit of hex editing to do to get it to work.

      --
      -samson
    • Stephanie Maks
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
        I don't know this for certain, but I would hazard a guess that the
        reason it works on your linux laptop but not on the Zipit is because
        of ifconfig itself.

        The ifconfig in the Zipit is part of busybox, and may not have all
        the features found in the full ifconfig in a full linux distro.

        If you really wanted to get it working, you could probably grab the
        sources for the full ifconfig and crosscompile them for the Zipit
        then drop it in and try that.

        -Stephanie

        On 1-Dec-05, at 02.32 .44, Samson wrote:

        > on my laptop running linux, i can type in
        > ifconfig eth1 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06
        > and my wireless card (eth1) is now running with a new MAC address
        >
        > however it doesn't work on the zipit. Now that its been brought up,
        > does anybody have any clue as to what layer this fails on the zipit
        > at?
        >
        > I was hoping the MAC actually used was the one from the flash rom. It
        > didn't sound too crazy to me, as to edit the MAC on an apple laptop,
        > theres a bit of hex editing to do to get it to work.
      • Ken McGuire
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
          The Busybox ifconfig can support the hw option, however the busybox in
          OpenZipit, & Burn3 does not have it enabled.
          The wireless driver has never been rebuilt from sources as far as I
          know. Zipit provided a patch to an unreleased version of the driver,
          and promised that a port to the released version was in progress and
          would be provided. It never has been. The patch was:

          patch-wl_lkm_abg_alfa2-zipit

          If you look through the patch, you will find a piece of code added to
          wl_main.c that programms the MAC address to the Zipit hardware. I
          haven't figured out where it is being written to but it certainly
          could be an eeprom on the Agere WiFi Module.

          The current source is:

          wl_lkm_722_abg.tar.gz

          An interesting side note is that the driver wlags49_h25_cs.o signs on:

          wlags49_h25_cs v7.21-abg for PCMCIA, 4/28/2004 13:30:00 ....

          So the question is "is v7.21-abg the alpha code that zipit is talking
          about?" and how close to 7.22-abg is it and how difficult could it be
          to get that code working.

          There has been no real incentive to get an alternate driver working,
          but it might be nice, if only to turn off all the debug messages that
          fill up the dmesg buffer.

          November has come and gone, and so has the reference on the Zipit web
          site to releasing the streaming audio "update" in November. It's now
          "in a few weeks".

          Sorry for the rambling post ...ken...
        • bomberman0
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
            Bingo...

            I just successfully compiled ifconfig and all the other net-tools...
            (http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/net-tools/)

            Then I tried:
            ./ifconfig eth0 down
            ./ifconfig eth0 hw ether FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
            ./ifconfig -a

            [shows all sorts of info]
            ... and it appears the MAC address has been changed!

            BUT.... not so fast: As soon as you do an "ifconfig eth0 up", the old
            MAC address is restored.
            :(

            If anyone can figure this out, it would be cool. :)

            You can download the statically linked ifconfig here:
            http://www.santoni.ca/albert/zipit/ifconfig
            (Tested on OpenZipIt)

            Albert