Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Building against openzipit

Expand Messages
  • Brian Bulkowski
    Hi Folks, Time for me to give back a little - let you know my experience with development environments for this puppy. buildroot is a great tool for making
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Folks,

      Time for me to give back a little - let you know my experience with
      development environments for this puppy.

      'buildroot' is a great tool for making cross-compile toolchains with
      ucLibC, but has a problem. The ucLibC folks typically just keep moving
      forward with their environment, and don't checkpoint their releases.
      It seems they've even gone away from having releases of 'buildroot'.

      However, if you want to use ZipitPet's kernel image, and you want to
      use dynamic linking (which all the makefiles out there use), you'll be
      wanting to make a uClibC 0.9.27 build chain.

      It appears that there is one archived version of buildroot that's not
      top of tree. It's linked in one place from the ucLibC page,
      http://www.uclibc.org/toolchains.html , which is
      http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/buildroot-0.9.27.tar.bz2 .

      Since it's a "release", it has an ARM config file - load that up when
      you do the 'make menuconfig'. Choose the earliest version of kernel
      headers, and pare down the package list (some packages they have don't
      exist anymore). I used the 3.4.3 GCC. It does seem to generate fatter
      code than the 3.3.x toolchain, but only by a few percent --- and I'm
      sure getting that back with dynamic linking.

      Here are things I tried:
      * I was able to use my spiffy 0.9.28 based toolchain with static
      linking - adding -static to the link phase of my app. This worked for
      "Hello World".
      * I tried using the current buildroot and tricking it into building
      0.9.27 by changing the appropriate line in
      buildroot/toolchain/uClibc/uclibc.mk , and it didn't compile. Not sure
      why.
      * I tried dropping the 0.9.28 libraries into the ramdisk image, and
      the dynamically linked 'wavemon' segfaulted immediatly.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.