Re: Linux Kernel does rebuild - my instructions

  • ZipItPet
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1 8:59 AM
      > I'm still curious about what you meant by 'stripping it down'. I
      just
      > assume that means that you didn't include kernal modules that
      weren't
      > being used.

      The original build (described in that older BBS post) used the
      original version and config. It was almost byte-for-byte identical
      to the Zipit/Aeronix built kernel, which was the starting point.
      [the gzip step was my first attempt, a "zimage" has the loader plus
      the gziped kernel in one file]

      The "BURN3" kernel is different (keyboard, framebuffer, telnetd etc -
      - changes/additions most done by ken/cynfab). See the patch file on
      my site.
      The OpenZipit kernel (and other variations) are even more different

      -----
      > I don't just want to get it running, I want to
      > understand it, take it apart, make small code changes, put it back
      > together, reinstall it, ect...
      >
      > I really want to be an embedded software engineer....

      Except that playing around with the Zipit flash is dangerous (unless
      you do the 5 wire hardware mod)

      Other advice:
      There are other embedded linux development kits all packaged up.
      Most are expensive (there are a few hobby ones or built-it yourself)

      General Linux programming books may cover a lot of things that don't
      apply to embedded Linux. Zipit Linux is mostly a "means to an end".
      To learn the ins-and-outs of the whole system (including many common
      packages), I recommend a PC version of Linux. You can build and
      debug on the same machine.

      You also may want to look at uClinux. Another common embedded
      Linux family for even smaller systems (NOTE: the Zipit is not
      running uClinux - it is running full-blown ARM Linux - with MMU)