Re: [zipitwireless] http://elinux.org/wiki/ZipIt is down

  • suburban blight
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2005
      uhm.. not for me.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • ZipItPet
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
        > I'm still curious about what you meant by 'stripping it down'. I
        just
        > assume that means that you didn't include kernal modules that
        weren't
        > being used.

        The original build (described in that older BBS post) used the
        original version and config. It was almost byte-for-byte identical
        to the Zipit/Aeronix built kernel, which was the starting point.
        [the gzip step was my first attempt, a "zimage" has the loader plus
        the gziped kernel in one file]

        The "BURN3" kernel is different (keyboard, framebuffer, telnetd etc -
        - changes/additions most done by ken/cynfab). See the patch file on
        my site.
        The OpenZipit kernel (and other variations) are even more different

        -----
        > I don't just want to get it running, I want to
        > understand it, take it apart, make small code changes, put it back
        > together, reinstall it, ect...
        >
        > I really want to be an embedded software engineer....

        Except that playing around with the Zipit flash is dangerous (unless
        you do the 5 wire hardware mod)

        Other advice:
        There are other embedded linux development kits all packaged up.
        Most are expensive (there are a few hobby ones or built-it yourself)

        General Linux programming books may cover a lot of things that don't
        apply to embedded Linux. Zipit Linux is mostly a "means to an end".
        To learn the ins-and-outs of the whole system (including many common
        packages), I recommend a PC version of Linux. You can build and
        debug on the same machine.

        You also may want to look at uClinux. Another common embedded
        Linux family for even smaller systems (NOTE: the Zipit is not
        running uClinux - it is running full-blown ARM Linux - with MMU)