Re: solder points available?

  • ZipItPet
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2005
      > ...what address, data, control, and gpio lines are accessable
      via soldering?

      *chuckle*

      There are no address/data/control lines that are available to solder
      to using *regular* soldering techniques.

      Also we don't have a good idea which gpio lines are needed for the
      normal functioning of the device. I've repurposed a few of them for
      temporary testing.

      Take a look at the photos, or take your Zipit unit apart. Soldering
      on this sucker is very difficult.
      If you need access to certain signals, you can probably find them -
      but it is painful.

      ----
      Depending on your soldering skills, you can tap into points on the
      board.
      I categorize them as 'very easy', 'easy', 'hard', 'very hard'
      and 'impossible'

      There are only two 'very easy' solder pads: for ground and DBG
      (ground it for special boot mode).

      If you are lucky, the signal comes out on one side of a surface
      mount component like a resistor or transistor (I call that 'easy',
      assuming you can solder to such small things)

      If you are less lucky, you must solder onto a trace or trace + via
      ('hard')
      If you are less lucky than that, you must solder onto a via alone
      ('very hard')

      If you are out of luck, then the signal is not exposed
      ('impossible'). This is a multilayer board with BGA connections.
      Some vias and connections occur under the chips.
      ----------

      What are you trying to do ?
      I have the minimal needed for special boot mode and COM2 for a debug
      terminal (2 'very easy', 2 'easy' and 1 'very hard')

      After that minimal enabling, I wouldn't wish more micro-soldering on
      anyone...
    • David Anders
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2005
        i'm currently doing some mmc hacking on another
        device, and was curious what possibilities existed for
        adding a mmc interface on the zipit, if i could get
        access to either 4 gpios, or 2 data lines, and the OE
        and WR lines i could fix up something. worst case, i
        could use one of the uarts to do the job.

        > What are you trying to do ?
        > I have the minimal needed for special boot mode and
        > COM2 for a debug
        > terminal (2 'very easy', 2 'easy' and 1 'very hard')

        dave

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250