ZRS Can't create listen socket (80)

  • Glenn Meader
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2005
      I just got my Zipit and I'm trying to flash it using the
      instructions at:
      http://www.aibohack.com/zipit/reflash.htm

      I turned off all local WiFi devices except my laptop. I am running
      XP SP2 on my laptop. I have disabled the firewall. I have my WiFi
      adapter set to adhoc and SSID = ZIPNET. I set the IP address for my
      laptop to 10.0.1.9 mask: 255.255.255.0

      When I run ZRS, I get the following error: Can't create listen
      socket (80).

      If I ignore that error and have the Zipit connect to the manually
      entered 10.0.1.9 IP, mask, gateway and DNS, my Zipit tries to
      connect to the ZIPNET network.

      On the laptop, ZRS reports the Zipit's DNS query on Port 53 and
      replys with the Fake IP address 10.0.1.9 for www.zipitwireless.net.
      The Zipit does this DNS query twice, then gives an error message
      saying something about a private network and needing a password.

      Seems like I've got some connectivity...

      So, what do I need to do to get rid of the "Can't create listen
      socket (80)" error?

      Is there another problem with the Zipit getting the ZRS DNS server
      response as well?
    • ZipItPet
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2005
        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Meader" <gmeader@p...>
        wrote:

        > When I run ZRS, I get the following error: Can't create listen
        > socket (80).

        That means that something else on your computer is already running
        on that port #80. Some other HTTP server (eg: Microsoft IIS server,
        Windows version of Apache)

        Turn that off, and try again. Good luck

        -----
        "ZRS" acts as a mini DNS server and HTTP server, useful only for the
        limited reflashing feature.

        > If I ignore that error...
        The HTTP server thread is not running - so ZRS canned functionality
        will not work.

        It is possible to use your existing HTTP server to provide the two
        needed files, but IMHO it is not worth the effort (since ZRS is
        designed to do exactly this - and nothing more)
      • yahoo.20.kd5uzz@spamgourmet.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2005
          It sounds like you've got another service listening on port 80. Do you
          have an HTTP (web) server running? Maybe a streaming audio server with
          a web interface? First try killing a few things with task manager then
          turning off some services in administrator tools (be careful what you
          disable!)

          On 5/17/05, Glenn Meader - gmeader@...
          <+yahoo+kd5uzz+02fce9c3ef.gmeader#pacbell.net@...> wrote:
          > I just got my Zipit and I'm trying to flash it using the
          > instructions at:
          > http://www.aibohack.com/zipit/reflash.htm
          >
          > I turned off all local WiFi devices except my laptop. I am running
          > XP SP2 on my laptop. I have disabled the firewall. I have my WiFi
          > adapter set to adhoc and SSID = ZIPNET. I set the IP address for my
          > laptop to 10.0.1.9 mask: 255.255.255.0
          >
          > When I run ZRS, I get the following error: Can't create listen
          > socket (80).
          >
          > If I ignore that error and have the Zipit connect to the manually
          > entered 10.0.1.9 IP, mask, gateway and DNS, my Zipit tries to
          > connect to the ZIPNET network.
          >
          > On the laptop, ZRS reports the Zipit's DNS query on Port 53 and
          > replys with the Fake IP address 10.0.1.9 for www.zipitwireless.net.
          > The Zipit does this DNS query twice, then gives an error message
          > saying something about a private network and needing a password.
          >
          > Seems like I've got some connectivity...
          >
          > So, what do I need to do to get rid of the "Can't create listen
          > socket (80)" error?
          >
          > Is there another problem with the Zipit getting the ZRS DNS server
          > response as well?

          -Daniel
          KD5UZZ
          www.w5yj.org
        • Glenn Meader
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2005
            ZRS can't create a listen socket on port 80 (commonly used for HTTP)
            if another program is already using port 80. So how do you see what
            program is using port 80 on your computer?

            Do this in a command window: NETSTAT -ab

            This will show you a list of ports that are currently open on your
            computer and the name of the executable that has each port open.

            Then you can use Windows Task Manager to kill off whatever is using
            port 80, so ZRS can use it.