Re: [zipitwireless] Re: Hello from a new member.

  • Rusty Haddock
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2012
      walscobry wrote:
      >Awesome Rusty!
      >
      >Thanks for the short tutorial!
      >
      >I am doing this with an eye toward possible EMCOM use. I have 7 wrt54g
      >nodes for my HAM mesh. I hope to use the zipit2 as a diagnostic tool.
      >
      >What size miniSD do you have? Can the zipit2 use a 8 or 16 gig microSD in
      >an adapter if you partion it into 4GB blocks?
      >would be neat to have the whole compiler and more right on the device.

      I have a 2-gig micro SD card inside of a micro-to-mini adapter. 'gcc' has
      been loaded onto it and I barely touched the amount of free disk space.
      If you google around you will find some folks that have made use of
      8-GB cards.

      >While am asking things...have you done the serial port mod?
      >for possible CAT or on-the-radio memory management?

      No, I have not done the serial port mod. From what I've read it just
      pulls out the TTL serial pins from the CPU. You will still need to add
      circuitry to convert to/from RS-232 levels.

      >Or tried compiling flgidi or anyhting like that, soundcard TNC, etc?

      Dunno why you couldn't do that, but I haven't. Still, do NOT expect
      to get the FLdigi screen to appear on your 320x240 Z2. To be effective
      I suspect it would have to be used remotely from a PC running XWindows
      (under whatever).

      >One last thing...any sources for 2.4Ghz Yagis you might want to share?

      Dunno why you're asking me all these questions when a simple google will
      get you more than I can tell you. I don't use Yagis on 2.4-GHz but I've
      seen the MFJ yagi (MFJ-1800) used with great results although it's a
      bit on the flimsy side. You can get this yagi in an enclosure but for
      half that price you can get a Rootenna that has the same gain and is FAR
      sturdier. I've been using Rootennas (flat panel, directional antennas)
      with my WRT54G's since the 15-dBi models are water-tight and will hold
      the WRT54G, case and all. Try some of the wireless distributors --
      Titan Wireless down in Round Rock, TX to name one -- and see what they
      have to offer.

      Have phun!

      -Rusty-
      --