ZipitBot - Using the Z2 as a robot

  • catblackcode
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2011
      I found this interesting page on using the Z2 as the core brains of a robot. This has reinvigorated my interest in the Z2 as I had been looking for a modern controller for my old Hero Jr robot. This would kick it up to the nth degree.

      http://www.junklet.net/html/make_page.php?n=zipitbot
    • Tom morden
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2011
        Nice, love those lego wheels!
        Looks like bomb sniffer/ied bot to me; no heavy duty tech really?
        Way to recycle those old mobile batteries
        Good on him
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
          Hello!
          I saw that first on http://hackaday.com and he doesn't give enough details to make it work. I'm not at all sure as to how he accomplished the impossible, that of expanding the basic Z2. We do know, I will grant the group that, the Z2 can support, and even use an external SD card, and even communicate with outside devices, besides the 'net.

          However I believe he really needs to supply more details.

          And you are right they do look like mobile batteries. Also those aren't Lego designed wheels, they are the same style as supplied with the BOE Bot, as are the CW servos.
          ---
          Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
          “This signature is not the same one. Move along! Move along!”

        • justinsanemsu
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
            Gregg,

            I'm still working hard on the documentation for this project.

            All that is needed to duplicate the work will be provided.

            My dream is the have a universal robot platform where any type of robot can inter-operate.

            -nulluser

            --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@...> wrote:

            > Hello!
            > I saw that first on http://hackaday.com and he doesn't give enough details to make it work. I'm not at all sure as to how he accomplished the impossible, that of expanding the basic Z2. We do know, I will grant the group that, the Z2 can support, and even use an external SD card, and even communicate with outside devices, besides the 'net.
            >
            > However I believe he really needs to supply more details.
            >
            > And you are right they do look like mobile batteries. Also those aren't Lego designed wheels, they are the same style as supplied with the BOE Bot, as are the CW servos.
            > ---
            > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
            > “This signature is not the same one. Move along! Move along!”

          • Gregg C Levine
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
              Hello!
              Excellent! That is good to know, sir. Part of the problem is that the description on http://hackaday.com did not go into enough detail.

              However about the wheels, and the CW servos, did you modify four of your own? Or you order them from the company I described? There are instructions some place for doing so, but, ah, I'd rather use four from any robotics supply place in general.

              Those wheels on the other hand look like the ones from almost any hobby supply firm.

              ---

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
                Gregg,

                Those are standard hobby servos modified for continuous rotation. The wheels are lego, and I glued the servo horn to the hub.

                I have added some more information to the site: http://www.junklet.net/html/make_page.php?n=zipitbot

              • Aaron Black
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 30, 2011
                  I am definitely going to do this but it's going to be a more long term project for me. I've been studying some of the other servo motor boards and I think I'm going to go the OpenServo way. Many different companies make compatible boards and there is a variety of software out there to study and modify. It's just something to consider if anybody else is thinking of it.
                  The cheapest board I seen was a $14 one motor controller and it goes up from there but that's much cheaper than that guys system. It really depends on what you want and need. They also use an I2C interface.

                  http://www.openservo.com/

                  http://www.robotshop.com/sfe-openservo-open-source-servo-motor-controller-board.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=jos