Presentation & question about flashing kernel

  • gassosa_it
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7 4:28 AM
      Hi to all,
      I'm an italian newbie... I've just set up my Kingston micro SDHC card (4Gb) with the base image (from http://linux.zipitwireless.com/wiki/OpenEmbedded), then later I added DOOM (from http://linux.zipitwireless.com/wiki/Doom); everything is working fine. No firmware/hardware mods at the moment.

      I'm doing the setup of my new machine in order to install OpenEmbedded, because I run out of space: so I didn't had the chance to try the wireless yet.

      I've found that sweetlilmre has setup a bunch of new things, and all the new improvements are based on flashing a new kernel.

      I read from the AutoFlasher-r2 README.txt file:

      "This script will only work on a z2 with the original Zipit firmware."

      but also:

      "Your original kernel will have been saved to the card as orig.kernel.bin for backup purposes (if you should ever wish to revert)"

      This means that I can revert to the original firmware only with the serial mod?

      Many thanks in advance
      Emiliano

      p.s.
      I've found some nice things there too: http://hunterdavis.com/archives/category/zipit-hacking
    • Hunter Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16 7:18 PM
        Hi All,

        If you update to the newest git tree, you can now directly bitbake intltool.  This was keeping xserver-kdrive and scummvm from building.  They are both working fine now, instructions up on my site.  Playing some Space Quest on the Z2 feels surprisingly old school

        /H

      • M. Warner Losh
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16 7:50 PM
          In message: <712342.6911.qm@...>
          Hunter Davis <huntergdavis@...> writes:
          : Hi All,
          :
          : If you update to the newest git tree, you can now directly bitbake intltool.  This was keeping xserver-kdrive and scummvm from building.  They are both working fine now, instructions up on my site.  Playing some Space Quest on the Z2 feels surprisingly old school

          where's the latest git tree?

          Warner
        • Hunter Davis
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22 6:51 PM