Re: Z2 preferred toolchain?

  • huntergdavis
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2009
      Hi -(e)

      I've been following your zipit progress on your blog, and am interested in trying out your new tree. Did you happen to cache your irc session where you set up your new kernel with the old fatroot method? I successfully built then extracted to the ext3 side of SD, however the z2script.sh is failing (bad newroot /sysroot).

      Anyway, glad to hear things are picking up again on Z2 dev. and I'll be pushing patches up to your sourceforge repo once I get things working.

      Cheers,
      hunter@...

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "sweetlilmre1" <sweetlilmre@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am the maintainer of the source forge OpenZipit project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openzipit
      >
      > As of this writing I have a 2.6.29 kernel and userland built on top of OpenEmbedded available on the project site. Also, via anon SVN is an OE build enviroment setup system, should you wish to build your own.
      >
      > At the moment the only way to flash the kernel is to have a serial connection to the Z2 and use "xdownload ..." where "..." is the kernel zImage and then "flash kernel" to flash the kernel to the device.
      >
      > Last night on IRC (freenode #zipit) I managed to sucessfully assist another user in flashing this kernel without a serial cable, however this method is not fully tested and relies on the old OE fatroot / userland build available from the http://linux.zipitwireless.com site.
      >
      > The kernel currently supports most devices including wifi (which is built from a patch from the libertas-dev ml and the wireless testing kernel git branch) and progress is being made on other fronts.
      >
      > I am usually found hanging out in #zipit should you wish to try the kernel out. These are early days and setup documentation is very sparse. I intend to address this next week after the easter holidays.
      >
      > At any rate, I thought I would introduce myself via this post :)
      >
      > See you on #zipit in about a week
      > -(e)

    • sweetlilmre1
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
        Hi,

        > I've been following your zipit progress on your blog, and am interested in trying out your new tree. Did you happen to cache your irc session where you set up your new kernel with the old fatroot method? I successfully built then extracted to the ext3 side of SD, however the z2script.sh is failing (bad newroot /sysroot).

        There is a new, better way of doing things using a z2script hack to flash the new kernel. Check it out at http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/openzipit/index.php?title=AutoFlasher_Software

        Get the software from the SF site (AutoFlasher, kernel and userland).
        A newer kernel should be available soon which fixes wifi issues (under the original wifi firmware, the new firmware seems troublesome). It should have been up already but RL has interfered somewhat :).

        Check out the wiki, some more info has been added.

        -(e)

        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "huntergdavis" <huntergdavis@...> wrote:

        > Hi -(e)
        >
        > I've been following your zipit progress on your blog, and am interested in trying out your new tree. Did you happen to cache your irc session where you set up your new kernel with the old fatroot method? I successfully built then extracted to the ext3 side of SD, however the z2script.sh is failing (bad newroot /sysroot).
        >
        > Anyway, glad to hear things are picking up again on Z2 dev. and I'll be pushing patches up to your sourceforge repo once I get things working.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > hunter@...
        >
        > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "sweetlilmre1" <sweetlilmre@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I am the maintainer of the source forge OpenZipit project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openzipit
        > >
        > > As of this writing I have a 2.6.29 kernel and userland built on top of OpenEmbedded available on the project site. Also, via anon SVN is an OE build enviroment setup system, should you wish to build your own.
        > >
        > > At the moment the only way to flash the kernel is to have a serial connection to the Z2 and use "xdownload ..." where "..." is the kernel zImage and then "flash kernel" to flash the kernel to the device.
        > >
        > > Last night on IRC (freenode #zipit) I managed to sucessfully assist another user in flashing this kernel without a serial cable, however this method is not fully tested and relies on the old OE fatroot / userland build available from the http://linux.zipitwireless.com site.
        > >
        > > The kernel currently supports most devices including wifi (which is built from a patch from the libertas-dev ml and the wireless testing kernel git branch) and progress is being made on other fronts.
        > >
        > > I am usually found hanging out in #zipit should you wish to try the kernel out. These are early days and setup documentation is very sparse. I intend to address this next week after the easter holidays.
        > >
        > > At any rate, I thought I would introduce myself via this post :)
        > >
        > > See you on #zipit in about a week
        > > -(e)

      • Hunter Davis
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2009