Skip to search.

Re: audio

  • Ken McGuire
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 25 1:14 PM
      Replying to my own post...

      It turns out that the madplay audio_alsa.c plugin was hosed, I
      re-wrote it to support alsa 1.0 api and now it plays as nice as you
      please..... ;>)

      I'd bet the same thing is wrong with mpg123.

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Ken McGuire" <kenm@...> wrote:

      > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, yahoo.20.kd5uzz@ wrote:
      > >
      > > On a side note...how is audio on the zipit? I know there for a while
      > > it wasn't working quite right...was that problem ever solved?
      > >

      > "Fixing" that problem took writing a new driver and integrating it
      > into the kernel properly. audio_pxa.ko was similar to the sound driver
      > for the Z1 in that it provided just enough functionality so that the
      > main Zipit application could use it. All the real work is done by the
      > Zipit application.
      >
      > The audio sounds great through a pair of headphones, I got madplay to
      > work, sort of, by having it decode the mp3 to wav and pipeing it to
      > aplay. The alsa madplay plugin is segfaulting as is mpg123. ;>(
      > But that's probably still a function of my inexperience with alsa, and
      > the age of madplay. The WM8750 is quite a nice codec.
      >
      > I played a 196kbit/sec mp3 that way and there were no
      > skips/pops/crackling, so I think that the new sound driver is
      > functional. The audio_pxa.ko driver that the Z2 comes with is a "VERY"
      > simplistic driver, that doesn't support alsa (or oss?). Yes, you can
      > play audio through it if you really try, but there is no mixer
      > control, and as others have noted there are buffer/dma issues.
      >
      > As a side note, the WM8750 has over 60 different mixer functions,
      > supporting filtering, boost, 3d enhancement, capture, and many more.
      > alsamixer gives access to all those functions, and adjusting them
      > actually does something (haven't quite figured out what in some cases
      > though).
      >

      > > On 7/26/05, pantheraonca15g - pantheraonca15g@
      > > <+yahoo+kd5uzz+c31e0f82ac.pantheraonca15g#yahoo.com@>
      > > wrote:
      > > > i dont know much about hacking but zipit's website is horrible
      and you
      > > > guys seem to know alot about this device and what it can do. do
      anyone
      > > > know if streaming audio is available outside your home or is it only
      > > > available on the same wireless signal as your computer where the
      audio
      > > > is stored? also anyone know if launchcast radio by yahoo can be
      > > > accessed on these things because your signing into yahoo messenger
      > > > which means it should be possible...
      > > >
      > > > -Hughes
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > > --
      > > -Daniel
      > > KD5UZZ
      > > www.w5yj.org

    • Lumkichi
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 25 6:21 PM
        A particular flavor of the openfi player (which is also runs on an ARM processor) uses the HELIX ( https://datatype.helixcommunity.org/Mp3dec ) mp3 decoder and runs like a charm over there...  Never heard about Underbit MAD ( http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/ )until I read about it just now...

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 26 6:56 AM
          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Lumkichi <lumkichi@...> wrote:

          > A particular flavor of the openfi player (which is also runs on an ARM
          > processor) uses the HELIX (
          https://datatype.helixcommunity.org/Mp3dec ) mp3
          > decoder and runs like a charm over there... Never heard about
          Underbit MAD
          > ( http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/ )until I read about it just
          now...

          That's funny I'd never heard of helix or openfi till now...

          Ah, openfi is for the DMP1, I remember now.

          It seems as though openfi is licensed under the GPL, but helix is
          under the RPSL, which (at a first glance) doesn't seem compatible with
          GPL v2.

          I'll look more closely at openfi to see what parts of helix it
          contains, whether its mp3 player is all GPL v2 compatible, and whether
          I can figure out how to build it.

          thanks for the link. ;>)