Re: [zipitwireless] Custom ramdisk questions and comments

  • Tom Walsh
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2008
      William Estrada wrote:

      > Tom,
      >
      > I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
      > SD. When I plugged
      > the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
      > can recognize
      > the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
      > for networks".
      >
      > Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
      > I other words,
      > do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

      It does not re-image the Flash, you will need the SD card whenever you
      want to run your own Linux on it. The SD card must be prepared using
      the prepSDcard.pl utility that is found in the fatroot/ dir in your OE.

      When you prep the SD card with that utility, it places the necessary
      files in the FAT partition to take control of the Z2. The utility also
      will allow you to create the necessary partitons: a small FAT and a
      larger Linux. Refer to the included "README-sdcard" for details.

      TomW

      http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
    • William Estrada
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 15, 2008
        Tom,

        I did all of that but booting the Z2 with the SD installed does not
        re-init
        the system. It just comes up and displays 'Mini SD Flash installed, Data
        base ready' and then goes into the standard start up.

        I did have problems with the prepSDcard.pl interface. When the program
        calls fdisk and re-partitions the SD because on exit I get a message that
        the kernel is using the old partition map. The program does not allow for
        this and keep on running. There are two solutions for this problem:

        One would be to make the program a two
        stage process. Run once to allocate the partitions and then run it
        to populate
        the file systems. Using 'eject' on the SD, re-inserting the SD and
        then umounting
        the file systems.

        Another one would be to 'clear' all partitions first and then run
        prepSDcard.pl.
        Afain use 'eject', etc.

        Anyway I think I got the SD built OK, is there a way I can check it
        first other than
        just looking at the contents?

        I am running on Fedora Core 8.

        Tom Walsh wrote:
        > William Estrada wrote:
        >
        >> Tom,
        >>
        >> I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
        >> SD. When I plugged
        >> the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
        >> can recognize
        >> the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
        >> for networks".
        >>
        >> Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
        >> I other words,
        >> do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

        ]

        \

        --
        William Estrada
        MrUmunhum@...
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 25, 2008
          It looks like you might have had your SD card mounted when
          prepSDcard.pl ran. Make sure the SD card is not mounted since you are
          going to be reformating the card.
          The prepSDcard.pl script sets up a small FAT partition with ./bin and
          ./modules directories a keyboard map ./zipkeymap.map and three scripts
          for booting ./z2script.sh, ./take.sh and ./restart.sh

          you can also have the music & picture folders for use with the Zipit
          software.

          The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
          possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
          you did have it inserted before power on correct?

          I just checked that the software does not boot completely from the
          charging display i.e. if it is plugged in and displaying "Charging" it
          does not check for the miniSD card when going between Charging and On.
          I pull the power cord out for a few seconds when first going from
          Charging to the miniSD card, then plug it back in

          I dual boot by having the card out to boot as Zipit and then inserting
          it later so I can use the Zipit program for playing my music folder
          and running the usual Zipit stuff.

          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...>
          wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > I did all of that but booting the Z2 with the SD installed does not
          > re-init
          > the system. It just comes up and displays 'Mini SD Flash installed, Data
          > base ready' and then goes into the standard start up.
          >
          > I did have problems with the prepSDcard.pl interface. When the program
          > calls fdisk and re-partitions the SD because on exit I get a message
          that
          > the kernel is using the old partition map. The program does not
          allow for
          > this and keep on running. There are two solutions for this problem:
          >
          > One would be to make the program a two
          > stage process. Run once to allocate the partitions and then run it
          > to populate
          > the file systems. Using 'eject' on the SD, re-inserting the SD and
          > then umounting
          > the file systems.
          >
          > Another one would be to 'clear' all partitions first and then run
          > prepSDcard.pl.
          > Afain use 'eject', etc.
          >
          > Anyway I think I got the SD built OK, is there a way I can check it
          > first other than
          > just looking at the contents?
          >
          > I am running on Fedora Core 8.
        • William Estrada
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
            This is what my SD card looks like:

            $ ls -lrt /sdd1
            total 24
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13036 1980-01-01 00:00 zipkeymap.map
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 2008-01-13 15:54 modules
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 252 2008-01-21 23:19 take.sh
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 65 2008-01-22 00:05 restart.sh
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1236 2008-01-22 00:10 z2script.sh
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 2008-01-22 00:17 bin
            $ ls -lrt /sdd2
            total 16
            drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:02 lib
            drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 var
            drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 tmp
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 sys
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 proc
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 dev
            drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:07 usr
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 mnt
            drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 media
            drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 home
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 3072 2008-12-13 16:34 sbin
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 boot
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 bin
            drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 etc

            mcmechanjw wrote:
            > It looks like you might have had your SD card mounted when
            > prepSDcard.pl ran. Make sure the SD card is not mounted since you are
            > going to be reformating the card.

            I worked around that problem.
            > The prepSDcard.pl script sets up a small FAT partition with ./bin and
            > ./modules directories a keyboard map ./zipkeymap.map and three scripts
            > for booting ./z2script.sh, ./take.sh and ./restart.sh
            >
            > you can also have the music & picture folders for use with the Zipit
            > software.
            >
            > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
            > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
            > you did have it inserted before power on correct?

            Yes, it was inserted and then powered on. It does see the card but does
            not flip the file systems.
            It maybe too slow. Really hard to find a regular miniSD card anymore,
            The local stores have the microSD cards with an adapter.

            Can I add an echo to one of the scripts to see if the SD fs is being
            accessed?
            > I just checked that the software does not boot completely from the
            > charging display i.e. if it is plugged in and displaying "Charging" it
            > does not check for the miniSD card when going between Charging and On.
            > I pull the power cord out for a few seconds when first going from
            > Charging to the miniSD card, then plug it back in

            It was not charging. Tried it many times.

            --
            William Estrada
            MrUmunhum@...
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
              mcmechanjw wrote:
              > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
              > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
              > you did have it inserted before power on correct?

              I am using a Patrist memory 3-in-1 2 gig signature SD from Fry's.
              What brands are you using, do you recommend? I can try to find
              those on the Internet.

              --
              William Estrada
              MrUmunhum@...
              Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://64.124.13.3 )
              Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
            • M. Warner Losh
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
                In message: <4956B530.7020303@...>
                William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...> writes:
                : mcmechanjw wrote:
                : > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                : > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                : > you did have it inserted before power on correct?
                : >
                : >
                : I am using a Patrist memory 3-in-1 2 gig signature SD from Fry's.
                : What brands are you using, do you recommend? I can try to find
                : those on the Internet.

                Ones that work :).

                Seriously, brand name is meaningless in the flash card market, except
                for a few top-tier brands with their high end parts. Usually, it is a
                commodity chip under the hood, and these parts vary a lot. The flash
                sellers get whatever is cheapest this month, does a huge run, kicks
                the product out into the market with the same label as last month and
                then starts on next month's stuff. So what's good this month can be
                crap next month. Or have a different timing....

                Of course, you could fix the Linux kernel to actually wait for all
                producers of root file system devices to finish their probing before
                mounting root... that's the real solution here...

                Warner
              • William Estrada
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                  Warner,

                  One that works makes sense! What type are you using??

                  I just ordered a 512M 'high speed' replacement. I will let you know
                  what happens.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                    In message: <4957C013.5050206@...>
                    William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...> writes:
                    : Warner,
                    :
                    : One that works makes sense! What type are you using??
                    :
                    : I just ordered a 512M 'high speed' replacement. I will let you know
                    : what happens.

                    my flash experience is on other platforms... You have to try them til
                    you find one that goes ready fast enough.

                    Warner

                    : > : mcmechanjw wrote:
                    : > : > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                    : > : > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                    : > : > you did have it inserted before power on correct?
                    : > : >
                    : > : >
[...]
                    : --
                    : William Estrada
                    : MrUmunhum@...
                    : Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://64.124.13.3 )
                    : Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
                    :
                    :
                    <
                  • William Estrada
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
                      OK, I got the new SD card and it fails as well! I then tried using the
                      z2script.sh shell found at: http://linux.zipitwireless.com/wiki/Z2Shell.
                      It fails to get invoked also. So I think I can conclude that the problem
                      is with the Z2 itself.

                      I have not upgraded the firmware yet. It is still at v1.00.

                      Should I update the firmware to the latest version??