Re: [zipitwireless] Custom ramdisk questions and comments

  • William Estrada
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
      The Z2 build is broken.

      --
      William Estrada
      MrUmunhum@...
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
        William Estrada wrote:

        > The Z2 build is broken.

        Of course it is, it is based on OpenEmbedded. That project moves along
        like greased lightning! Their strategy changes every 3..4 months, on
        average. Did you try to fix it?

        TomW

        http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
      • Tom Walsh
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
          Tom Walsh wrote:

          > William Estrada wrote:
          > >

          > > The Z2 build is broken.
          > >

          > Of course it is, it is based on OpenEmbedded. That project moves along
          > like greased lightning! Their strategy changes every 3..4 months, on
          > average. Did you try to fix it?

          My apologies, I lost it there. There needs to be a solution to the Z2
          development. Give me some time to see what I can come up with?

          Regards

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2008
            Tom,

            My apology for the terse post. I was heading out for an appointment
            and did not
            take the time to make myself clear. I do appreciate all the time that
            people put
            in to provide me with 'The best effort' on Open Source projects.

            The problem I was encountering is at the server level, there is a
            package missing
            from the svn server, namely python-gsmd. After restarting the build
            that problem
            seems to have been fixed. Now is is failing on a gcc section.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 13, 2008
              William Estrada wrote:

              > Tom,
              >
              > My apology for the terse post. I was heading out for an appointment
              > and did not
              > take the time to make myself clear. I do appreciate all the time that
              > people put
              > in to provide me with 'The best effort' on Open Source projects.
              >
              > The problem I was encountering is at the server level, there is a
              > package missing
              > from the svn server, namely python-gsmd. After restarting the build
              > that problem
              > seems to have been fixed. Now is is failing on a gcc section.

              NP, I am struggling to get back to working with the Z2 and OE. Maybe I
              can figure out what is broken. Right now, I have to go see if anyone
              can match the bathroom tile that I have. There is about 18 more tiles
              that I need to finish the bathroom floor repair. :(

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 14, 2008
                Tom,

                I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
                SD. When I plugged
                the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
                can recognize
                the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
                for networks".

                Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
                I other words,
                do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

                My unit is at V1.00, do I need to update it to 1.99??

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 15, 2008
                  William Estrada wrote:

                  > Tom,
                  >
                  > I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
                  > SD. When I plugged
                  > the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
                  > can recognize
                  > the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
                  > for networks".
                  >
                  > Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
                  > I other words,
                  > do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

                  It does not re-image the Flash, you will need the SD card whenever you
                  want to run your own Linux on it. The SD card must be prepared using
                  the prepSDcard.pl utility that is found in the fatroot/ dir in your OE.

                  When you prep the SD card with that utility, it places the necessary
                  files in the FAT partition to take control of the Z2. The utility also
                  will allow you to create the necessary partitons: a small FAT and a
                  larger Linux. Refer to the included "README-sdcard" for details.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 15, 2008
                    Tom,

                    I did all of that but booting the Z2 with the SD installed does not
                    re-init
                    the system. It just comes up and displays 'Mini SD Flash installed, Data
                    base ready' and then goes into the standard start up.

                    I did have problems with the prepSDcard.pl interface. When the program
                    calls fdisk and re-partitions the SD because on exit I get a message that
                    the kernel is using the old partition map. The program does not allow for
                    this and keep on running. There are two solutions for this problem:

                    One would be to make the program a two
                    stage process. Run once to allocate the partitions and then run it
                    to populate
                    the file systems. Using 'eject' on the SD, re-inserting the SD and
                    then umounting
                    the file systems.

                    Another one would be to 'clear' all partitions first and then run
                    prepSDcard.pl.
                    Afain use 'eject', etc.

                    Anyway I think I got the SD built OK, is there a way I can check it
                    first other than
                    just looking at the contents?

                    I am running on Fedora Core 8.

                    Tom Walsh wrote:
                    > William Estrada wrote:
                    >
                    >> Tom,
                    >>
                    >> I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
                    >> SD. When I plugged
                    >> the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
                    >> can recognize
                    >> the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
                    >> for networks".
                    >>
                    >> Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
                    >> I other words,
                    >> do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

                    ]

                    \

                    --
                    William Estrada
                    MrUmunhum@...
                    Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net )
                    Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
                  • mcmechanjw
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 25, 2008
                      It looks like you might have had your SD card mounted when
                      prepSDcard.pl ran. Make sure the SD card is not mounted since you are
                      going to be reformating the card.
                      The prepSDcard.pl script sets up a small FAT partition with ./bin and
                      ./modules directories a keyboard map ./zipkeymap.map and three scripts
                      for booting ./z2script.sh, ./take.sh and ./restart.sh

                      you can also have the music & picture folders for use with the Zipit
                      software.

                      The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                      possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                      you did have it inserted before power on correct?

                      I just checked that the software does not boot completely from the
                      charging display i.e. if it is plugged in and displaying "Charging" it
                      does not check for the miniSD card when going between Charging and On.
                      I pull the power cord out for a few seconds when first going from
                      Charging to the miniSD card, then plug it back in

                      I dual boot by having the card out to boot as Zipit and then inserting
                      it later so I can use the Zipit program for playing my music folder
                      and running the usual Zipit stuff.

                      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Tom,
                      >
                      > I did all of that but booting the Z2 with the SD installed does not
                      > re-init
                      > the system. It just comes up and displays 'Mini SD Flash installed, Data
                      > base ready' and then goes into the standard start up.
                      >
                      > I did have problems with the prepSDcard.pl interface. When the program
                      > calls fdisk and re-partitions the SD because on exit I get a message
                      that
                      > the kernel is using the old partition map. The program does not
                      allow for
                      > this and keep on running. There are two solutions for this problem:
                      >
                      > One would be to make the program a two
                      > stage process. Run once to allocate the partitions and then run it
                      > to populate
                      > the file systems. Using 'eject' on the SD, re-inserting the SD and
                      > then umounting
                      > the file systems.
                      >
                      > Another one would be to 'clear' all partitions first and then run
                      > prepSDcard.pl.
                      > Afain use 'eject', etc.
                      >
                      > Anyway I think I got the SD built OK, is there a way I can check it
                      > first other than
                      > just looking at the contents?
                      >
                      > I am running on Fedora Core 8.
                    • William Estrada
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
                        This is what my SD card looks like:

                        $ ls -lrt /sdd1
                        total 24
                        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13036 1980-01-01 00:00 zipkeymap.map
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 2008-01-13 15:54 modules
                        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 252 2008-01-21 23:19 take.sh
                        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 65 2008-01-22 00:05 restart.sh
                        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1236 2008-01-22 00:10 z2script.sh
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 2008-01-22 00:17 bin
                        $ ls -lrt /sdd2
                        total 16
                        drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:02 lib
                        drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 var
                        drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 tmp
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 sys
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 proc
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 dev
                        drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:07 usr
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 mnt
                        drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 media
                        drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 home
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 3072 2008-12-13 16:34 sbin
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 boot
                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 bin
                        drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 etc

                        mcmechanjw wrote:
                        > It looks like you might have had your SD card mounted when
                        > prepSDcard.pl ran. Make sure the SD card is not mounted since you are
                        > going to be reformating the card.

                        I worked around that problem.
                        > The prepSDcard.pl script sets up a small FAT partition with ./bin and
                        > ./modules directories a keyboard map ./zipkeymap.map and three scripts
                        > for booting ./z2script.sh, ./take.sh and ./restart.sh
                        >
                        > you can also have the music & picture folders for use with the Zipit
                        > software.
                        >
                        > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                        > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                        > you did have it inserted before power on correct?

                        Yes, it was inserted and then powered on. It does see the card but does
                        not flip the file systems.
                        It maybe too slow. Really hard to find a regular miniSD card anymore,
                        The local stores have the microSD cards with an adapter.

                        Can I add an echo to one of the scripts to see if the SD fs is being
                        accessed?
                        > I just checked that the software does not boot completely from the
                        > charging display i.e. if it is plugged in and displaying "Charging" it
                        > does not check for the miniSD card when going between Charging and On.
                        > I pull the power cord out for a few seconds when first going from
                        > Charging to the miniSD card, then plug it back in

                        It was not charging. Tried it many times.

                        --
                        William Estrada
                        MrUmunhum@...
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
                          mcmechanjw wrote:
                          > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                          > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                          > you did have it inserted before power on correct?

                          I am using a Patrist memory 3-in-1 2 gig signature SD from Fry's.
                          What brands are you using, do you recommend? I can try to find
                          those on the Internet.

                          --
                          William Estrada
                          MrUmunhum@...
                          Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://64.124.13.3 )
                          Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
                        • M. Warner Losh
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
                            In message: <4956B530.7020303@...>
                            William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...> writes:
                            : mcmechanjw wrote:
                            : > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                            : > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                            : > you did have it inserted before power on correct?
                            : >
                            : >
                            : I am using a Patrist memory 3-in-1 2 gig signature SD from Fry's.
                            : What brands are you using, do you recommend? I can try to find
                            : those on the Internet.

                            Ones that work :).

                            Seriously, brand name is meaningless in the flash card market, except
                            for a few top-tier brands with their high end parts. Usually, it is a
                            commodity chip under the hood, and these parts vary a lot. The flash
                            sellers get whatever is cheapest this month, does a huge run, kicks
                            the product out into the market with the same label as last month and
                            then starts on next month's stuff. So what's good this month can be
                            crap next month. Or have a different timing....

                            Of course, you could fix the Linux kernel to actually wait for all
                            producers of root file system devices to finish their probing before
                            mounting root... that's the real solution here...

                            Warner
                          • William Estrada
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                              Warner,

                              One that works makes sense! What type are you using??

                              I just ordered a 512M 'high speed' replacement. I will let you know
                              what happens.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                                In message: <4957C013.5050206@...>
                                William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...> writes:
                                : Warner,
                                :
                                : One that works makes sense! What type are you using??
                                :
                                : I just ordered a 512M 'high speed' replacement. I will let you know
                                : what happens.

                                my flash experience is on other platforms... You have to try them til
                                you find one that goes ready fast enough.

                                Warner

                                : > : mcmechanjw wrote:
                                : > : > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                                : > : > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                                : > : > you did have it inserted before power on correct?
                                : > : >
                                : > : >
[...]
                                : --
                                : William Estrada
                                : MrUmunhum@...
                                : Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://64.124.13.3 )
                                : Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
                                :
                                :
                                <
                              • William Estrada
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
                                  OK, I got the new SD card and it fails as well! I then tried using the
                                  z2script.sh shell found at: http://linux.zipitwireless.com/wiki/Z2Shell.
                                  It fails to get invoked also. So I think I can conclude that the problem
                                  is with the Z2 itself.

                                  I have not upgraded the firmware yet. It is still at v1.00.

                                  Should I update the firmware to the latest version??