Curious interest in the zipit2.

  • Matthew S.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
      A few friends and I were looking to get some cheap wifi instant
      messengers, and we came across the Zipit Z2a. After some lovely time
      practicing my google-fu, I wandered across your group here. What we
      are looking to do is to be able to run a zipit with minor web access,
      but mainly we want to preserve the IM capability without having to pay
      the blasted service plan fee. I see you have a lot of stuff here, and
      I was wondering if anyone could give a newbie to the group some
      information.

      Is this possible? We want to be able to use the instant IM's for
      personal chat across a wifi network. We want to be able to use a
      web-browser to access a central website where we store information for
      our gaming group. Any and all information you can provide me would be
      great!

      Thanks in advance!
    • William Estrada
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2008
        Matthew,

        This group does not look active. I would like to re-energize it

        I have an Open Source Peer to Peer software project that I plan to
        port to the Zipit Z2. I have one on order and I am waiting for delivery
        so I can start my testing. I have already install a cross compiler on
        my laptop to use.

        I think your needs can be addressed as well. Don't plan on using a
        Z2 for a web server, I think it doesn't have the house power to do
        the job. But it may be able to run a small web browser? I did find this
        link:

        http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2
        <http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2>

        Do you have a unit to test with?? Hopefully just compiling new apps
        will work?

        If I make any progress, I will post it here.

        --
        William Estrada
        MrUmunhum@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2008
          I do not, as of yet, have a unit to test with. That should be
          remedied later today. As for a z2a webserver, I misspoke there. I
          want a web browser on the z2a to access a different computer that
          will be set up as a web browser. Thanks for the info, I will be
          looking into this, and possibly working with you :D

          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...>
          wrote:

          > Matthew,
          >
          > This group does not look active. I would like to re-energize it
          >
          > I have an Open Source Peer to Peer software project that I plan to
          > port to the Zipit Z2. I have one on order and I am waiting for
          delivery
          > so I can start my testing. I have already install a cross compiler
          on
          > my laptop to use.
          >
          > I think your needs can be addressed as well. Don't plan on using a
          > Z2 for a web server, I think it doesn't have the house power to do
          > the job. But it may be able to run a small web browser? I did find
          this
          > link:
          >
          > http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2
          > <http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2>
          >
          > Do you have a unit to test with?? Hopefully just compiling new
          apps
          > will work?
          >
          > If I make any progress, I will post it here.
          >

          > Matthew S. wrote:
          > > A few friends and I were looking to get some cheap wifi instant
          > > messengers, and we came across the Zipit Z2a. After some lovely
          time
          > > practicing my google-fu, I wandered across your group here. What
          we
          > > are looking to do is to be able to run a zipit with minor web
          access,
          > > but mainly we want to preserve the IM capability without having
          to pay
          > > the blasted service plan fee. I see you have a lot of stuff
          here, and
          > > I was wondering if anyone could give a newbie to the group some
          > > information.
          > >
          > > Is this possible? We want to be able to use the instant IM's for
          > > personal chat across a wifi network. We want to be able to use a
          > > web-browser to access a central website where we store
          information for
          > > our gaming group. Any and all information you can provide me
          would be
          > > great!
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance!
          > >
          > --
          > William Estrada
          > MrUmunhum@...
          > Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net )
          > Ymessenger: MrUmunhum

        • huntergdavis
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
            I can verify this will work, dillo is working well on my z2 with
            kserver-xfbdev. Although dillo does NOT properly send proxy requests,
            so socks tunneling is out.

            --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew S."
            <deviantphilosopher@...> wrote:

            > I do not, as of yet, have a unit to test with. That should be
            > remedied later today. As for a z2a webserver, I misspoke there. I
            > want a web browser on the z2a to access a different computer that
            > will be set up as a web browser. Thanks for the info, I will be
            > looking into this, and possibly working with you :D
            >
            > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, William Estrada <MrUmunhum@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Matthew,
            > >
            > > This group does not look active. I would like to re-energize it
            > >
            > > I have an Open Source Peer to Peer software project that I plan to
            > > port to the Zipit Z2. I have one on order and I am waiting for
            > delivery
            > > so I can start my testing. I have already install a cross compiler
            > on
            > > my laptop to use.
            > >
            > > I think your needs can be addressed as well. Don't plan on using a
            > > Z2 for a web server, I think it doesn't have the house power to do
            > > the job. But it may be able to run a small web browser? I did find
            > this
            > > link:
            > >
            > > http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2
            > > <http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2>
            > >
            > > Do you have a unit to test with?? Hopefully just compiling new
            > apps
            > > will work?
            > >
            > > If I make any progress, I will post it here.
            > >

            > > Matthew S. wrote:
            > > > A few friends and I were looking to get some cheap wifi instant
            > > > messengers, and we came across the Zipit Z2a. After some lovely
            > time
            > > > practicing my google-fu, I wandered across your group here. What
            > we
            > > > are looking to do is to be able to run a zipit with minor web
            > access,
            > > > but mainly we want to preserve the IM capability without having
            > to pay
            > > > the blasted service plan fee. I see you have a lot of stuff
            > here, and
            > > > I was wondering if anyone could give a newbie to the group some
            > > > information.
            > > >
            > > > Is this possible? We want to be able to use the instant IM's for
            > > > personal chat across a wifi network. We want to be able to use a
            > > > web-browser to access a central website where we store
            > information for
            > > > our gaming group. Any and all information you can provide me
            > would be
            > > > great!
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance!
            > > >
            > > --
            > > William Estrada
            > > MrUmunhum@
            > > Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net )
            > > Ymessenger: MrUmunhum

          • un_rst
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2008
              Hey there! :)

              I got a couple of questions regarding your kdrive:
              -did you compile it yourself or via OE
              -if the latter: how do you start it and which packages did you need
              for it? (mine refuses to start when not starting with gpe-dm)

              Greetings,
              Unrest

              --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "huntergdavis"
              <huntergdavis@...> wrote:

              > I can verify this will work, dillo is working well on my z2 with
              > kserver-xfbdev. Although dillo does NOT properly send proxy requests,
              > so socks tunneling is out.
              >

              > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew S."
              > <deviantphilosopher@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I do not, as of yet, have a unit to test with. That should be
              > > remedied later today. As for a z2a webserver, I misspoke there. I
              > > want a web browser on the z2a to access a different computer that
              > > will be set up as a web browser. Thanks for the info, I will be
              > > looking into this, and possibly working with you :D
              > >
              > > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, William Estrada <MrUmunhum@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Matthew,
              > > >
              > > > This group does not look active. I would like to re-energize it
              > > >
              > > > I have an Open Source Peer to Peer software project that I plan to
              > > > port to the Zipit Z2. I have one on order and I am waiting for
              > > delivery
              > > > so I can start my testing. I have already install a cross compiler
              > > on
              > > > my laptop to use.
              > > >
              > > > I think your needs can be addressed as well. Don't plan on using a
              > > > Z2 for a web server, I think it doesn't have the house power to do
              > > > the job. But it may be able to run a small web browser? I did find
              > > this
              > > > link:
              > > >
              > > > http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2
              > > > <http://marc.info/?t=118731692500001&r=1&w=2>
              > > >
              > > > Do you have a unit to test with?? Hopefully just compiling new
              > > apps
              > > > will work?
              > > >
              > > > If I make any progress, I will post it here.

              > > time
              > > we
              > > access,
              > > to pay
              > > here, and

              > > information for
              > > would be

              > > > --
              > > > William Estrada
              > > > MrUmunhum@
              > > > Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net )
              > > > Ymessenger: MrUmunhum

            • Hunter Davis
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 12, 2008
                Hello,

                I am doing the OE bitbake cross-compiling repo as described at:
                http://linux.zipitwireless.com/wiki/OpenEmbedded

                Kdrive was actually a bit of a pain to get all the needed packages.  I'm using xserver-kdrive-fbdev.  I started by installing gtk+ and its dependencies, then installing all the packages listed at the above URL for the kdrive procedure.  I'm not sure if gtk+ is necessary for kdrive, but it was for dillo.  The only package that sticks out in my mind is the lib-jpeg requirement.  It took me about 10 minutes to figure out the package was actually called jpeglib.  My process:

                1.  (on zipit) ipkg update && ipkg install xserver-kdrive-fbdev (then it complains about some dependancy)
                2.  (on build host) bitbake (name of dependancy) && bitbake package index
                3.  repeat

                My original intention was to have tor and privoxy running and dillo routing secure requests through them.  Tor and privoxy are running fine, required only minor makefile and  .h changes.  Dillo unfortunately sends an extra '\003' with its proxy requests which tor sees as malformed urls and blocks. So for me, dillo is running straight through to the net.  I'd been planning on installing minimo or netrunner, but I got sidetracked compiling nethack last night.  I'll let you know if I ever get it working.

                /Hunter