Custom ramdisk questions and comments

  • oxinkyvek
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008
      I finally got a zipit(z1) and I've wanted one for awhile. I did the
      basic flash followed by putting OpenZipIt on it and have had some fun
      playing around with it. After a few days of typing in everything at
      ever boot to get wifi working and mounting my nfs drive, I figured it
      was time to play around with the ramdisk. So I followed the
      instructions on the wiki and went in and started removing stuff I
      don't use (like weechat) and put lynx on it and two small songs then
      realizing it was too much memory and then went back and removed some
      more stuff. I then removed lynx to get the size back down to around
      where it started.

      After unmounting the ramdisk and gzip'ing it, I started up my zipit
      and connected everything to prepare for flashing. I ran zflash and to
      my surprise, it complained that the ramdisk was too big. First of all,
      my understanding from the wiki was that I needed to be careful about
      the size of the ramdisk or I'd screw it up and be forced to go the
      5-wire route. I didn't think it would stop me if it were a little
      bigger than OpenZipIt. Does anyone know the size cut off coded in zflash?

      The second thing was that when viewing the size of the ramdisk when
      mounted, it was approximately the same as the original. This was
      confusing until I saw that my ramdisk.gz was almost double the size of
      the original. After playing around with removing and adding files, I
      figured what must have happened is that the ramdisk file expanded when
      I had originally added lynx and the songs and then didn't shrink back
      after removing them. Is this a correct assumption? Any details on this
      process?

      After this assumption, I restarted from scratch. I first removed all
      the extra junk then add my custom scripts. Before adding the songs, I
      zipped it up to be safe and made a copy. Then I opened it back up and
      added the songs and zipped it up again.

      First I tried my ramdisk with the songs(my best case scenario) and
      again it complained about the size(again, the hardcoded max size?).
      Then I tried the plain one and it worked fine. I'm happy to have my
      scripts on it now and it makes me even more eager to get the rest of
      the details filled out.

      Regarding the songs, I have them at 11025 Hz, 16 bit rate, and mono.
      This results in whole songs around 450KB, nice and snug fit on the
      Zipit :). They play fine locally or streaming off on my nfs drive.
      Just adding this incase it might help someone and to convince everyone
      that I'm not trying to get 3MB songs on the ramdisk ;).
    • Tom Walsh
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
        oxinkyvek wrote:

        > I finally got a zipit(z1) and I've wanted one for awhile. I did the
        > basic flash followed by putting OpenZipIt on it and have had some fun
        > playing around with it. After a few days of typing in everything at
        > ever boot to get wifi working and mounting my nfs drive, I figured it
        > was time to play around with the ramdisk. So I followed the
        > instructions on the wiki and went in and started removing stuff I
        > don't use (like weechat) and put lynx on it and two small songs then
        > realizing it was too much memory and then went back and removed some
        > more stuff. I then removed lynx to get the size back down to around
        > where it started.
        >
        > After unmounting the ramdisk and gzip'ing it, I started up my zipit
        > and connected everything to prepare for flashing. I ran zflash and to
        > my surprise, it complained that the ramdisk was too big. First of all,
        > my understanding from the wiki was that I needed to be careful about
        > the size of the ramdisk or I'd screw it up and be forced to go the
        > 5-wire route. I didn't think it would stop me if it were a little
        > bigger than OpenZipIt. Does anyone know the size cut off coded in zflash?
        >
        > The second thing was that when viewing the size of the ramdisk when
        > mounted, it was approximately the same as the original. This was
        > confusing until I saw that my ramdisk.gz was almost double the size of
        > the original. After playing around with removing and adding files, I
        > figured what must have happened is that the ramdisk file expanded when
        > I had originally added lynx and the songs and then didn't shrink back
        > after removing them. Is this a correct assumption? Any details on this
        > process?
        >
        > After this assumption, I restarted from scratch. I first removed all
        > the extra junk then add my custom scripts. Before adding the songs, I
        > zipped it up to be safe and made a copy. Then I opened it back up and
        > added the songs and zipped it up again.
        >
        > First I tried my ramdisk with the songs(my best case scenario) and
        > again it complained about the size(again, the hardcoded max size?).
        > Then I tried the plain one and it worked fine. I'm happy to have my
        > scripts on it now and it makes me even more eager to get the rest of
        > the details filled out.
        >
        > Regarding the songs, I have them at 11025 Hz, 16 bit rate, and mono.
        > This results in whole songs around 450KB, nice and snug fit on the
        > Zipit :). They play fine locally or streaming off on my nfs drive.
        > Just adding this incase it might help someone and to convince everyone
        > that I'm not trying to get 3MB songs on the ramdisk ;).

        Well, you certainly are a glutton for punishment. heh. I know how
        tempting playing with the z1 is , but, the Z2 is so much better: more
        RAM, faster processor, backlit keypad and display, etc., etc..

        If you are really really into the Z1, then these pages should be of
        interest to you. I don't know if any of the stuff still works
        (especially the OE stuff), but you may get some use from them:

        http://www.openzipit.org/Z1Develop/

        http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
      • William Estrada
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
          The Z2 build is broken.

          --
          William Estrada
          MrUmunhum@...
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
            William Estrada wrote:

            > The Z2 build is broken.

            Of course it is, it is based on OpenEmbedded. That project moves along
            like greased lightning! Their strategy changes every 3..4 months, on
            average. Did you try to fix it?

            TomW

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
              Tom Walsh wrote:

              > William Estrada wrote:
              > >

              > > The Z2 build is broken.
              > >

              > Of course it is, it is based on OpenEmbedded. That project moves along
              > like greased lightning! Their strategy changes every 3..4 months, on
              > average. Did you try to fix it?

              My apologies, I lost it there. There needs to be a solution to the Z2
              development. Give me some time to see what I can come up with?

              Regards

              TomW

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 12, 2008
                Tom,

                My apology for the terse post. I was heading out for an appointment
                and did not
                take the time to make myself clear. I do appreciate all the time that
                people put
                in to provide me with 'The best effort' on Open Source projects.

                The problem I was encountering is at the server level, there is a
                package missing
                from the svn server, namely python-gsmd. After restarting the build
                that problem
                seems to have been fixed. Now is is failing on a gcc section.

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 13, 2008
                  William Estrada wrote:

                  > Tom,
                  >
                  > My apology for the terse post. I was heading out for an appointment
                  > and did not
                  > take the time to make myself clear. I do appreciate all the time that
                  > people put
                  > in to provide me with 'The best effort' on Open Source projects.
                  >
                  > The problem I was encountering is at the server level, there is a
                  > package missing
                  > from the svn server, namely python-gsmd. After restarting the build
                  > that problem
                  > seems to have been fixed. Now is is failing on a gcc section.

                  NP, I am struggling to get back to working with the Z2 and OE. Maybe I
                  can figure out what is broken. Right now, I have to go see if anyone
                  can match the bathroom tile that I have. There is about 18 more tiles
                  that I need to finish the bathroom floor repair. :(

                  TomW

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 14, 2008
                    Tom,

                    I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
                    SD. When I plugged
                    the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
                    can recognize
                    the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
                    for networks".

                    Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
                    I other words,
                    do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

                    My unit is at V1.00, do I need to update it to 1.99??

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 15, 2008
                      William Estrada wrote:

                      > Tom,
                      >
                      > I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
                      > SD. When I plugged
                      > the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
                      > can recognize
                      > the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
                      > for networks".
                      >
                      > Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
                      > I other words,
                      > do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

                      It does not re-image the Flash, you will need the SD card whenever you
                      want to run your own Linux on it. The SD card must be prepared using
                      the prepSDcard.pl utility that is found in the fatroot/ dir in your OE.

                      When you prep the SD card with that utility, it places the necessary
                      files in the FAT partition to take control of the Z2. The utility also
                      will allow you to create the necessary partitons: a small FAT and a
                      larger Linux. Refer to the included "README-sdcard" for details.

                      TomW

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 15, 2008
                        Tom,

                        I did all of that but booting the Z2 with the SD installed does not
                        re-init
                        the system. It just comes up and displays 'Mini SD Flash installed, Data
                        base ready' and then goes into the standard start up.

                        I did have problems with the prepSDcard.pl interface. When the program
                        calls fdisk and re-partitions the SD because on exit I get a message that
                        the kernel is using the old partition map. The program does not allow for
                        this and keep on running. There are two solutions for this problem:

                        One would be to make the program a two
                        stage process. Run once to allocate the partitions and then run it
                        to populate
                        the file systems. Using 'eject' on the SD, re-inserting the SD and
                        then umounting
                        the file systems.

                        Another one would be to 'clear' all partitions first and then run
                        prepSDcard.pl.
                        Afain use 'eject', etc.

                        Anyway I think I got the SD built OK, is there a way I can check it
                        first other than
                        just looking at the contents?

                        I am running on Fedora Core 8.

                        Tom Walsh wrote:
                        > William Estrada wrote:
                        >
                        >> Tom,
                        >>
                        >> I got the build to work, I think? I can see the file systems on the
                        >> SD. When I plugged
                        >> the SD into my Zipit and powered it on, I see a message about the unit
                        >> can recognize
                        >> the SD but it does not do anything different, just goes into 'scanning
                        >> for networks".
                        >>
                        >> Is the SD made to re-image the Z2? Or is it just run this code for now?
                        >> I other words,
                        >> do I need the SD each time I use the Z2?

                        ]

                        \

                        --
                        William Estrada
                        MrUmunhum@...
                        Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net )
                        Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
                      • mcmechanjw
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 25, 2008
                          It looks like you might have had your SD card mounted when
                          prepSDcard.pl ran. Make sure the SD card is not mounted since you are
                          going to be reformating the card.
                          The prepSDcard.pl script sets up a small FAT partition with ./bin and
                          ./modules directories a keyboard map ./zipkeymap.map and three scripts
                          for booting ./z2script.sh, ./take.sh and ./restart.sh

                          you can also have the music & picture folders for use with the Zipit
                          software.

                          The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                          possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                          you did have it inserted before power on correct?

                          I just checked that the software does not boot completely from the
                          charging display i.e. if it is plugged in and displaying "Charging" it
                          does not check for the miniSD card when going between Charging and On.
                          I pull the power cord out for a few seconds when first going from
                          Charging to the miniSD card, then plug it back in

                          I dual boot by having the card out to boot as Zipit and then inserting
                          it later so I can use the Zipit program for playing my music folder
                          and running the usual Zipit stuff.

                          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Tom,
                          >
                          > I did all of that but booting the Z2 with the SD installed does not
                          > re-init
                          > the system. It just comes up and displays 'Mini SD Flash installed, Data
                          > base ready' and then goes into the standard start up.
                          >
                          > I did have problems with the prepSDcard.pl interface. When the program
                          > calls fdisk and re-partitions the SD because on exit I get a message
                          that
                          > the kernel is using the old partition map. The program does not
                          allow for
                          > this and keep on running. There are two solutions for this problem:
                          >
                          > One would be to make the program a two
                          > stage process. Run once to allocate the partitions and then run it
                          > to populate
                          > the file systems. Using 'eject' on the SD, re-inserting the SD and
                          > then umounting
                          > the file systems.
                          >
                          > Another one would be to 'clear' all partitions first and then run
                          > prepSDcard.pl.
                          > Afain use 'eject', etc.
                          >
                          > Anyway I think I got the SD built OK, is there a way I can check it
                          > first other than
                          > just looking at the contents?
                          >
                          > I am running on Fedora Core 8.
                        • William Estrada
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
                            This is what my SD card looks like:

                            $ ls -lrt /sdd1
                            total 24
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13036 1980-01-01 00:00 zipkeymap.map
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 2008-01-13 15:54 modules
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 252 2008-01-21 23:19 take.sh
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 65 2008-01-22 00:05 restart.sh
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1236 2008-01-22 00:10 z2script.sh
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 2008-01-22 00:17 bin
                            $ ls -lrt /sdd2
                            total 16
                            drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:02 lib
                            drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 var
                            drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 tmp
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 sys
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 proc
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:05 dev
                            drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:07 usr
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 mnt
                            drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 media
                            drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 home
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 3072 2008-12-13 16:34 sbin
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 boot
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 bin
                            drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 1024 2008-12-13 16:34 etc

                            mcmechanjw wrote:
                            > It looks like you might have had your SD card mounted when
                            > prepSDcard.pl ran. Make sure the SD card is not mounted since you are
                            > going to be reformating the card.

                            I worked around that problem.
                            > The prepSDcard.pl script sets up a small FAT partition with ./bin and
                            > ./modules directories a keyboard map ./zipkeymap.map and three scripts
                            > for booting ./z2script.sh, ./take.sh and ./restart.sh
                            >
                            > you can also have the music & picture folders for use with the Zipit
                            > software.
                            >
                            > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                            > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                            > you did have it inserted before power on correct?

                            Yes, it was inserted and then powered on. It does see the card but does
                            not flip the file systems.
                            It maybe too slow. Really hard to find a regular miniSD card anymore,
                            The local stores have the microSD cards with an adapter.

                            Can I add an echo to one of the scripts to see if the SD fs is being
                            accessed?
                            > I just checked that the software does not boot completely from the
                            > charging display i.e. if it is plugged in and displaying "Charging" it
                            > does not check for the miniSD card when going between Charging and On.
                            > I pull the power cord out for a few seconds when first going from
                            > Charging to the miniSD card, then plug it back in

                            It was not charging. Tried it many times.

                            --
                            William Estrada
                            MrUmunhum@...
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
                              mcmechanjw wrote:
                              > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                              > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                              > you did have it inserted before power on correct?

                              I am using a Patrist memory 3-in-1 2 gig signature SD from Fry's.
                              What brands are you using, do you recommend? I can try to find
                              those on the Internet.

                              --
                              William Estrada
                              MrUmunhum@...
                              Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://64.124.13.3 )
                              Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
                            • M. Warner Losh
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008
                                In message: <4956B530.7020303@...>
                                William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...> writes:
                                : mcmechanjw wrote:
                                : > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                                : > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                                : > you did have it inserted before power on correct?
                                : >
                                : >
                                : I am using a Patrist memory 3-in-1 2 gig signature SD from Fry's.
                                : What brands are you using, do you recommend? I can try to find
                                : those on the Internet.

                                Ones that work :).

                                Seriously, brand name is meaningless in the flash card market, except
                                for a few top-tier brands with their high end parts. Usually, it is a
                                commodity chip under the hood, and these parts vary a lot. The flash
                                sellers get whatever is cheapest this month, does a huge run, kicks
                                the product out into the market with the same label as last month and
                                then starts on next month's stuff. So what's good this month can be
                                crap next month. Or have a different timing....

                                Of course, you could fix the Linux kernel to actually wait for all
                                producers of root file system devices to finish their probing before
                                mounting root... that's the real solution here...

                                Warner
                              • William Estrada
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                                  Warner,

                                  One that works makes sense! What type are you using??

                                  I just ordered a 512M 'high speed' replacement. I will let you know
                                  what happens.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                                    In message: <4957C013.5050206@...>
                                    William Estrada <MrUmunhum@...> writes:
                                    : Warner,
                                    :
                                    : One that works makes sense! What type are you using??
                                    :
                                    : I just ordered a 512M 'high speed' replacement. I will let you know
                                    : what happens.

                                    my flash experience is on other platforms... You have to try them til
                                    you find one that goes ready fast enough.

                                    Warner

                                    : > : mcmechanjw wrote:
                                    : > : > The card needs to have these files on the first partition, it is also
                                    : > : > possible that your card is too slow and mounts after the boot process,
                                    : > : > you did have it inserted before power on correct?
                                    : > : >
                                    : > : >
[...]
                                    : --
                                    : William Estrada
                                    : MrUmunhum@...
                                    : Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net ( http://64.124.13.3 )
                                    : Ymessenger: MrUmunhum
                                    :
                                    :
                                    <
                                  • William Estrada
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
                                      OK, I got the new SD card and it fails as well! I then tried using the
                                      z2script.sh shell found at: http://linux.zipitwireless.com/wiki/Z2Shell.
                                      It fails to get invoked also. So I think I can conclude that the problem
                                      is with the Z2 itself.

                                      I have not upgraded the firmware yet. It is still at v1.00.

                                      Should I update the firmware to the latest version??