Re: (Possibly) dumb n00b question

  • sovietsputnikx
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
      Simply copying over your EeePC distribution to an SD card won't help
      because EeePC uses an x86 architecture. The Z2 uses an ARM cpu.

      You might be interested in this: http://linux.zipitwireless.com/

      Good luck.
    • Stewart Berntson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
        It's not possible to port software that directly, unless the hardware being used is (almost) identical.  For instance, your EEE PC has a different, much faster, processor and way more RAM/storage available to it than the z2.  Any software being ported between the two systems would need to be extensively re-written and then compiled for the target architecture.  (Don't feel bad, when I was playing with computer growing up I couldn't figure out why my Intel 80286 software wouldn't run on an Apple IIe either)

        Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 07:33:48 +0000
        From: zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com
        To: zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [zipitwireless] Digest Number 639

        Messages In This Digest (1 Message)

        1.
        (Possibly) dumb n00b question From: porcelainhead

        Message

        1.

        (Possibly) dumb n00b question

        Posted by: "porcelainhead" porcelainhead@...   porcelainhead

        Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:11 pm (PDT)

        Greets folks,

        I recently picked up a Z2 to play with, and I must say I see a
        <i>lot</i> of potential in this little guy to become an inexpensive,
        full-fledged "handtop" computer. It's got all the "makin's"... if only
        it could do more than just IM, show pics and play music. Like surf the
        web with a real GUI browser, create and edit office docs, wireless
        file transfer, etc.

        However as I'm sure you all know, the current "state of the art" in
        the hacker circles with regard to this device isn't very, with only
        the most basic proof of principle apps being available at this stage
        of the game. I do understand that it is new and thus there hasn't been
        much time to develop a large following as yet.

        Now I realize that this is probably in the "Duh!" category, but why
        would it not be possible (or is it?) to simply boot from SD card a
        full version of Linux with all apps (such as browser, etc.) - I'm
        thinking of just copying the entire OS and suite of apps from my Eee
        PC to the SD card - and thus have a fully functional Linux pocket
        computer without having to go through the intermediate stage of
        hacking and crude "compromise" apps.?

        I also know that this question may very well go against the grain of
        the hacker community, being a cheap and dirty shortcut, but I'm far
        more interested in <i>using</i> the thing for purposes beyond its
        original design (e.g. as a micro laptop) than in expending a lot of
        time and effort in an uphill battle of trying to hack it only to make
        it work "after a fashion", and I'm sure I'm not alone.

        Of course I am willing to do so if there's no other way, because I
        love this little fella... :) But a geek can dream, can't he?

        Thoughts? Flames? Rotten tomatoes?

        Regards,

        Yahoo! Finance
        It's Now Personal