Zipit V2 reduced to $50 or less !!!

  • ZipItPet
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
      Zipit V2 is available now for $50 at BestBuy and Target online stores
      (USA)
      http://www.zipitwireless.com/

      Amazon resellers have it at $38 (free shipping)
      http://www.amazon.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-%252d-Z2A/dp/B00115PR2O

      ---
      Commentary:
      Great cost reduction or dumping ??
      The ZipitV2 becomes much more attractive at that price, for regular
      users and for hacking. But for how long...

      BTW: The Zipit V2 was originally $150 and only released late last year
      The Zipit V1 was originally $100 and kept a similar price for several
      years.
    • Glenn Meader
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
        No cost reduction really. Now you must pay $9.99 a month for service to
        send/receive IMs -- that used to be free before this price change.

        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "ZipItPet" <aibopet@...> wrote:

        > Zipit V2 is available now for $50 at BestBuy and Target online stores
        > (USA)
        > http://www.zipitwireless.com/
        >
        > Amazon resellers have it at $38 (free shipping)
        > http://www.amazon.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-%252d-Z2A/dp/B00115PR2O
        >
        > ---
        > Commentary:
        > Great cost reduction or dumping ??
        > The ZipitV2 becomes much more attractive at that price, for regular
        > users and for hacking. But for how long...
        >
        > BTW: The Zipit V2 was originally $150 and only released late last year
        > The Zipit V1 was originally $100 and kept a similar price for several
        > years.

      • ZipItPet
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Meader" <gmeader@...>
          wrote:
          > No cost reduction really. Now you must pay $9.99 a month for
          service
          > send/receive IMs -- that used to be free before this price change.

          Thanks for the clarification.

          Apparently after you pay for the first year, IM is free (again) but
          SMS is not. And "Unlimited SMS" is not unlimited...

          So it is a $10 or $20 price increase even if you don't use SMS ($50
          for unit + $110 or $120 for service)

          IMHO: If you do want SMS, then I would consider a real cell-phone
          (similar priced plans are available)

          BTW: Here's a recent review talking about the new pricing:
          http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/zipit-wireless-messenger-2/4864-
          6454_7-32814500.html
          (cut-and-join URL as necessary)

          ------
          Not a problem if you are looking for cheap hacking hardware.
          Unforunately the Zipit hacking community has long since dried up...
        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
            Is the service mandatory? What if I just want on the play around with
            open-zipit2 or such?

            On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Glenn Meader <gmeader@...> wrote:
            > No cost reduction really. Now you must pay $9.99 a month for service to
            > send/receive IMs -- that used to be free before this price change.
            >
            > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "ZipItPet" <aibopet@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Zipit V2 is available now for $50 at BestBuy and Target online stores
            >> (USA)
            >> http://www.zipitwireless.com/
            >>
            >> Amazon resellers have it at $38 (free shipping)
            >> http://www.amazon.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-%252d-Z2A/dp/B00115PR2O
            >>
            >> ---
            >> Commentary:
            >> Great cost reduction or dumping ??
            >> The ZipitV2 becomes much more attractive at that price, for regular
            >> users and for hacking. But for how long...
            >>
            >> BTW: The Zipit V2 was originally $150 and only released late last year
            >> The Zipit V1 was originally $100 and kept a similar price for several
            >> years.

          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 21, 2008
              You can buy it without the service, but after 14 days it decides to
              lock you out of everything, including AIM. I haven't had the chance to
              test one to see if it will still boot off the SD card after it's been
              locked, but I assume it will.

              --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
              <james.ronald@...> wrote:

              > Is the service mandatory? What if I just want on the play around with
              > open-zipit2 or such?
              >
              > On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Glenn Meader <gmeader@...> wrote:
              > > No cost reduction really. Now you must pay $9.99 a month for
              service to
              > > send/receive IMs -- that used to be free before this price change.
              > >
              > > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "ZipItPet" <aibopet@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Zipit V2 is available now for $50 at BestBuy and Target online stores
              > >> (USA)
              > >> http://www.zipitwireless.com/
              > >>
              > >> Amazon resellers have it at $38 (free shipping)

              http://www.amazon.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-%252d-Z2A/dp/B00115PR2O

              > >> ---
              > >> Commentary:
              > >> Great cost reduction or dumping ??
              > >> The ZipitV2 becomes much more attractive at that price, for regular
              > >> users and for hacking. But for how long...
              > >>
              > >> BTW: The Zipit V2 was originally $150 and only released late last
              year
              > >> The Zipit V1 was originally $100 and kept a similar price for several
              > >> years.

            • Ed Paradis
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22, 2008
                It will boot off the SD card BEFORE it's been locked, right?

                Ed

                On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:11 PM, David <kd7nzk@...> wrote:
                > You can buy it without the service, but after 14 days it decides to
                > lock you out of everything, including AIM. I haven't had the chance to
                > test one to see if it will still boot off the SD card after it's been
                > locked, but I assume it will.
                >
                > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                > <james.ronald@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Is the service mandatory? What if I just want on the play around with
                >> open-zipit2 or such?
                >>
                >> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Glenn Meader <gmeader@...> wrote:
                >> > No cost reduction really. Now you must pay $9.99 a month for
                > service to
                >> > send/receive IMs -- that used to be free before this price change.

                > http://www.amazon.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-%252d-Z2A/dp/B00115PR2O

                > year

              • Gregg C Levine
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 22, 2008
                  Hello!
                  I was once told by a colleague, "Never assume.". Why not try it Ed, and
                  report back?

                  Surely there must be a way to reset the thing back to its fresh from a
                  factory status. I know that method exists for the desktops we use.

                  I haven't as yet bought one of the varmints because at the moment I haven't
                  worked out what I would like to do with one.
                  --
                  Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                  On
                  > Behalf Of Ed Paradis
                  > Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 8:24 AM
                  > To: zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [zipitwireless] Re: Zipit V2 reduced to $50 or less! But now
                  a $9.99/mo
                  > service fee is required!
                  >
                  > It will boot off the SD card BEFORE it's been locked, right?
                  >
                  > Ed
                  >
                  > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:11 PM, David <kd7nzk@...> wrote:
                  > > You can buy it without the service, but after 14 days it decides to
                  > > lock you out of everything, including AIM. I haven't had the chance to
                  > > test one to see if it will still boot off the SD card after it's been
                  > > locked, but I assume it will.
                  > >
                  > > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                  > > <james.ronald@...> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Is the service mandatory? What if I just want on the play around with
                  > >> open-zipit2 or such?

                  > > service to

                  > > http://www.amazon.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-%252d-Z2A/dp/B00115PR2O

                  > > year

                • ZipItPet
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 25, 2008
                    > Is the service mandatory? What if I just want on the play around with
                    open-zipit2 or such?...
                    > It will boot off the SD card BEFORE it's been locked, right?

                    The boot check is done at a low level, before running the Zipit IM app
                    (long before it talks to the server).

                    So if you don't want to use it as an IM device, keep a Mini-SD card
                    with a bootable version of OpenZipit in the device (or other custom
                    startup or full Linux)

                    No need to register the device or perform any of the regular Zipit IM
                    setup. When using OpenZipit you configure the WiFi the old fashioned
                    way.

                    Total expense: $38 for Zipit + cost of Mini-SD card and if necessary PC
                    adapter.