Re: [zipitwireless] Re: Is it possible to stream internet radio?

  • Tom Walsh
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
      g0atmale wrote:

      > damn now I need to figure out how to compile lynx.

      You are going to need much more than a compiler. I tried building lynx
      and failed. Thier configure script is not friendly to ARM systems.

      TomW

      http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
    • Michael Grigoni
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
        Tom Walsh wrote:

        > g0atmale wrote:
        >
        >>damn now I need to figure out how to compile lynx.
        >>

        > You are going to need much more than a compiler. I tried building lynx
        > and failed. Thier configure script is not friendly to ARM systems.

        I can provide a tarball of my lynx build but it is probably only useful
        in my build environment ;) Perhaps my binary and the libs upon which
        it depends would help someone?

        Regards,

        Michael
      • Tom Walsh
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
          Michael Grigoni wrote:

          > g0atmale wrote:
          >
          > > Is it possible to stream internet radio using sox, madplay, or aumix?
          > >

          > Here's how I do it on the Zipit:
          >
          > if [ ! -p /tmp/aufifo ] ; then
          > mkfifo /tmp/aufifo
          > fi
          > pid=`ps -e | grep madplay | tr -s ' ' ' ' | cut -d' ' -f2`
          > if [ X$pid != X ]
          > then (kill -9 $pid || exit 1)
          > sleep 45
          > fi
          >
          > lynx -dump -source -useragent=WinampMP EG/2.7 "http://kcea.
          > realfx.net: 8000/ <http://kcea.realfx.net:8000/>" > /t
          > mp/aufifo 2>/dev/null &
          > madplay -d /tmp/aufifo 2>/dev/null &

          You don't need lynx, just do it with curl:

          root@zipit:~# mkfifo radiofifo
          root@zipit:~# curl http://kcea.realfx.net:8000/ -o radiofifo &
          [1] 614
          root@zipit:~# madplay -d radiofifo

          It sounds good on my zipit.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
            Michael Grigoni wrote:

            > Tom Walsh wrote:
            >
            > > g0atmale wrote:
            > >
            > >>damn now I need to figure out how to compile lynx.
            > >>

            > > You are going to need much more than a compiler. I tried building lynx
            > > and failed. Thier configure script is not friendly to ARM systems.
            > >

            > I can provide a tarball of my lynx build but it is probably only useful
            > in my build environment ;) Perhaps my binary and the libs upon which
            > it depends would help someone?

            The major headache is the NPthreads crap^H^H^H^Hstuff. The kernel for
            the zipit is a 2.4, OpenEmbedded people are all over the 2.6 kernel,
            and, well, you get the picture. I've been smashing apples and oranges
            together to make grape juice.

            Hopefully, we can get beyond this 2.4 kernel stuff with the Z2?

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
              Tom Walsh wrote:

              > Michael Grigoni wrote:
              >
              >>Tom Walsh wrote:

              >>>You are going to need much more than a compiler. I tried building lynx
              >>>and failed. Thier configure script is not friendly to ARM systems.
              >>>

              >>I can provide a tarball of my lynx build but it is probably only useful
              >>in my build environment ;) Perhaps my binary and the libs upon which
              >>it depends would help someone?
              >>

              > The major headache is the NPthreads crap^H^H^H^Hstuff. The kernel for
              > the zipit is a 2.4, OpenEmbedded people are all over the 2.6 kernel,
              > and, well, you get the picture. I've been smashing apples and oranges
              > together to make grape juice.
              >
              > Hopefully, we can get beyond this 2.4 kernel stuff with the Z2?

              Well, I have been using a different kernel, albeit in the 2.4 lineage
              which may make a difference. A port of 2.6 was possible if there hadn't
              been such hostility a few months back (newcomers may benefit from a
              search of the archives). I personally had no interest in 2.6 however
              since I prefer the smaller footprint and resource requirements of a 2.4
              based o/s.

              Regards,

              Michael
            • Tom Walsh
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
                g0atmale wrote:

                > damn now I need to figure out how to compile lynx.

                Oh, this is even simpler, no fifo:

                curl http//205.188.215.228:8000 | madplay -

                The trailing dash tells madplay to read from stdin (the output from curl).

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 14, 2007
                  Tom Walsh wrote:

                  > g0atmale wrote:
                  > >
                  > > damn now I need to figure out how to compile lynx.
                  > >

                  > Oh, this is even simpler, no fifo:
                  >
                  > curl http//205.188. 215.228:8000 | madplay -

                  DOH! need a colon in there: