Re: [zipitwireless] Zipit Z2 Preview Video

  • Lumkichi
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
      Is the new ZipIt! a redressed version of the old ZipIt that incorporates all of the work / hack done by the people on this forum?

      On 9/30/07, Tom Walsh <tom@...> wrote:
      foxxotg wrote:

      > Here is a video at the Digital Life convention and a small recap that.
      > This is a preview and semi-comparison of the two zipit models:
      >
      > http://www.youtube . com/watch? v=nla1Wam7yAA
      > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nla1Wam7yAA>
      >
      > For those of you that dont care to watch the video, the features of
      > the Z2 are:

    • marleenverwoert
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi,

        Nice video!

        How do you know that there will be Email and Movie Playback?

        And is the 2.9" screen comfortable, i.e., the size?

        Thanks,

        Marleen
      • foxxotg
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          There are some questions sprouting up here and in a few other
          postings. I will try and collaberate.

          > "Also, off camera, did the developer talk about people like us
          > hacking the zipit. Is it something that will be tolerated, or will
          > they try to lock us out ?" - Brendan

          > "If it was off-camera, I have a feeling he won't want to share it
          > with the rest of us. It's technically illegal, actually, as it would
          > be considered sharing of trade secrets if the talking with the devs
          > had anything to do with the underlying software and/or hacking the
          > software." - ceralor

          Zipit does not see anything we do as illegal, so far. THh reason the
          developer talked to me off camera was because a matter of awkward
          timing. He saw me explaining the Z1 to some linux fans over in the
          corner and he approached me asking "Are you one of the original Z1
          linux guys?" to which i replied with a smile. They welcome us with
          open arms and actauly appreciate the work we do. They are trying to
          completely support us as much as possible. They are wrapping
          themselves around the open-source community and embracing our potential.

          > "Is the new ZipIt! a redressed version of the old ZipIt that
          > incorporates all of the work / hack done by the people on this
          > forum?" - Lumkichi

          Its definately a more powerfull unit. Its not just an old Z1 in a new
          shell. Since the new model is based off of the 2.6 kernel, and the old
          one is based off of the 2.4, I cant exactly say all of their work is
          derived from what has been done here. I think an accurate description
          to say is that the new features and functions of the zipit Z2 was
          inspired by whats been accomplished with the Z1. The backlight,
          improved keyboard, and SD card are all common things on every Z1
          owners wish list.

          > "I would like to know if this version will work with Yahoo IM.
          > Will the original work with Yahoo IM ?" - donhamilton2002

          I dont see why not. The old Z1 still works, why wouldnt the Z2?

          I know the Z2 does pictures and movies because ive seen it perform
          these functions myself. I didnt try the e-mail or Im clients, but I
          would expect it to work just like the original Z1 ZIM Client.

          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "foxxotg" <FoxxOTG@...> wrote:

          > Here is a video at the Digital Life convention and a small recap that.
          > This is a preview and semi-comparison of the two zipit models:
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nla1Wam7yAA
          >
          > For those of you that dont care to watch the video, the features of
          > the Z2 are:
          >
          > Backlit 32bit color display
          > Backlit QWERTY Keyboard with improved tactile feedback
          > Typical IM features as to be expected
          > Mp3 playback
          > Image Slideshow
          > Email
          > Movie Playback (unknown specs)
          > Native SD card, unknown max capacity
          > Linux 2.6.x kernel
          > $150(USD)
          >
          > Zipit will make the unit more open than before allowing native code to
          > run from SD, or so the developer told me. They will eventually release
          > developer information to the public so homebrew hacking can begin.
          >
          > The screen and keyboard have been GREATLY improved! The screen,
          > although smaller, is much more crisp and clear with a pretty wide
          > viewing angle. The movie and Image playback was pretty good, i wouldnt
          > concider it a selling point though. This is worthy of a 2.0 label. Its
          > everything we loved about the older Z1 zipit, but new and improved
          > with even more potential.
          >
          > I dont talk much here, so I would like to personally thank all of the
          > hard work the ZipIt hackers have done, especially TomW. Linux was the
          > only reason i bought a zipit, and with the new OpenZipit distro
          > release, I am more than compelled to push the little device as far as
          > it can go.
          >
          > Thanks everyone! Hope the hard work continues on with the Z2.

        • foxxotg
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            I know this because ive seen the movie playback, and the developer
            there told me they are working on the e-mail option. The screen is
            smaller, but a BIG improvement from the old one. I had no problems
            with it, but I also have good vision.

            --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "marleenverwoert"
            <marleenverwoert@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Nice video!
            >
            > How do you know that there will be Email and Movie Playback?
            >
            > And is the 2.9" screen comfortable, i.e., the size?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Marleen

          • jspraul
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              Thank you for your effort on this.

              --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "foxxotg" <FoxxOTG@...> wrote:

              > Here is a video at the Digital Life convention and a small recap that.
              > This is a preview and semi-comparison of the two zipit models:
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nla1Wam7yAA

            • tbiondo2004
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
                I was at digitallife and I saw this too (diddn't have a camera
                though), it looked pretty nice (and I won a t-shirt in the raffle...
                though it was angering that they did the raffle and then just gave
                away all the shirts to people in an orderly line making winning loose
                all its worth, but thats aside from the point) - The guy at the booth
                said it used linux 2.6 also and they were going to make a sort of
                official linux hack that lets you do what you want with it without
                getting your hands dirty. :)